Sunday, August 19, 2012

Breaking the stereotypes!

The cities that I've enjoyed most in Europe were the ones I've had little expectations about. No jokes! As I've mentioned before, I wasn't a big fan of Paris nor Venice... but the cities that I fell in love with were Amsterdam and Madrid. Seriously! Amsterdam!? My parents were shocked... My friends thought I was crazy... but I felt at home there! I will not mention how many people tried to speak Dutch to me while I was there. I guess it makes sense because I look European, I'm tall (5'8" is the average Dutch women's height), I'm kind of tan, brunette... kind of like the Dutch people.

Anyways! Presenting Amsterdam!

The well known city of legal weed, prostitution, and the famous red light district. Honestly, if that's what comes to your mind when someone says Amsterdam. SHAME ON YOU!

Out of all the cities, I felt the most safe in Amsterdam. The people were super friendly, the city damn right gorgeous and there's like no traffic. No really! The streets are dominated by bike lanes and most don't even have space for cars.

So yeah... Amsterdam is the city of bikes.



The city of beautiful row houses. I've actually been inside of one and it was where Anne Frank was hiding during WWII. Surprisingly, the "Secret Annex" was much larger than I've imagined it.


The city of parks, where super hot Dutch guys play soccer ;) Not to forget that there's a zoo in the middle of the city.


Yes... the famous I amsterdam sign.


The city of canals. They are stunning, absolutely remarkable. I woke up at 6am just do go and see the sunrise along one of them. Another day, I sat and ate my lunch by one and just admired it's beautiful. Once again, absolutely stunning.


The city of tulips!


The city with the stunning Central Station. That's the place of the main railway, tram station, and port.


Completely forgot what this is, but hey it's pretty. Might have been either central station or the main museum...


So there we go, Amsterdam in a nut shell! I actually want to live there when I get older ^^ That's just how much I  liked it. Stay tuned for the sequel where I explore Holland's country side by bike (no duh!)


3 comments:

  1. Oh, the places I hope I get to travel someday...I think I said it before but your posts are giving me serious wanderlust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blown away by all of the bikes when I was in Amsterdam. Glad you got to see the beauty of the city. We made an effort to get out of the typical areas to see it too. It's a gorgeous place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a gorgeous place indeed! I love how the bikes there are so different. The arm handles are high and people look so graceful as they bike ^^

    ReplyDelete