Thursday, August 23, 2012

Life Update

Unfortunately, summer is coming to an end. I know! Well actually this summer felt very long for me because I've had a lot of time to relax and got to chill in Europe for a month. Now that I've been bombarded with work at the lab, I realized that I haven't taken much time to step back and evaluate my life. So here we go...


Things I like


  1. I've been taking these bootcamp classes with a friend since beginning of July and they are hard core! First class we ended up doing good 200 squats, 100 lunges, 100 push-ups (I can't go down far... but I refuse to do girly push-ups), planks, intense cardio, and much much much much more. As you can imagine, I couldn't walk the next day. However, now 7 weeks from that day I can survive these workouts and feel absolutely fine the next day! I'd like to thank my body for being able to pull through it <3 Also my quads/ hamstrings have become jacked after these workouts. My mom was giving me a massage after one of the workouts and she was like "oh my gosh Nadiya, it feels like you have metal inside your legs!" Eating loads of protein on work-out days is paying off! Hehe! So once again cheers to my body!
  2. On the similar note, I'm still carrying on with my half-marathon which is this October. This Sunday I ran nice 13 km and still had tonnes of energy in me, so I'll definitely be ready for the half in 8 weeks.
  3. Things are pretty amazing at the lab and I've managed to successfully finish my assigned task. My boss was proud so YaY and now I'm respected at the lab. Plus I'm collaborating with more people and hopefully can have more projects. 
  4. I'm becoming a proficient cook and have gone from cooking for survival to experimenting with food as a mean of self-expression and a way to release my creativity. I'm sure you guys understand what I mean. 
  5. I have almost survived undergrad. Just one more little year. I can do it... I know that the stress/ lack of sleep/ overworking make me very much fatigued so I really have to make sure I stay strong and don't get sick or anything. Those opportunistic viruses can be viscous! At least I'm living at home now and my family can be of some support ^^
  6. I am turning to physical exercise more and more as a way to release stress. Running is just so uplifting and meditative like properties can really calm me down. In addition, it provides quality "alone time" where I can think things over. Stretches work really nicely too :P

Things I'm looking forward to

  1. Did I tell you about my makeover? I'm am turning 21 this December so that's kind of the official adult age for me. So I'm thinking of getting pretty much a whole new wardrobe and changing my hairstyle. My first shopping trip is this Saturday so I'll let you know how things go!
  2. Finishing undergrad. I know, I love learning but I've got to the point where I think university is pointless. It's expensive, it's stressful, and honestly if I want to learn something I can do it myself.
  3. I know I can't explain my project on the internet but I'm so excited about it. It's absolutely mind blowing!
  4. The future in general... It's scary, I have no clue what I'll be doing in a year or where in the world will I be! Exciting!

Things I don't like

  1. I guess I have a confession and I feel so stupid fussing over this... Well I rarely check my weight (don't own a scale) and just go by how my clothing feels/ check my waistline once is a while. I know I've gained a bit of weight and an inch and a half around my waist because according to my doctor my BMI was around 18 and that wasn't healthy. Perfectly cool with that and I felt great putting on 7ish lbs and pretty much being back at a weight that's normal for me (I've always been on the lighter side/ had a small-medium frame). I did notice that the belt for one of my sweaters was tighter but whatever my health was more important. I checked my weight maybe a couple of times at the gym after that and it seemed to be stable. Last time I checked was around end of March. Then 2 weeks ago happened! Why was I so tempted to step on that cursed scale at my friend's house... stupid curiosity. I couldn't believe my eyes... The number didn't match up to what I saw in the mirror. How did I got from 127 to 145? I didn't believe it so I rechecked with the scale at the gym and it was more of the less the same number. My parent's would've said something if I've gained that much... I checked my waistline... it was the same as before. I put on that same sweater I was telling you about, it fit the same as before even after being in the dryer. So I'm confused... I am very much tempted to lose it and it has been bothering me a lot, but would this be healthy? I know I've been running and working out but it can't all be muscle gain. Maybe I grew in height? Am in denial, but I shouldn't be fitting in my pants if I gained that much weight? I'd also look pregnant if I gained that much because all my fat deposits in the belly area! My diet/ exercise regiment hasn't changed either. Did my metabolism slow down? Europe? I only ate out 6 times and I won't lie that a third of the days I went to sleep hungry because stores would be closed/ it would be too expensive to eat out. Just weird and I'm not sure what to do....  I wish I never stepped onto that stupid piece of plastic! 
  2. I hate how the point above is bothering me. I never thought I'd be so shallow!

Things I need to work on

  1. My makeover and getting clothing for interviews!
  2. MEDSCHOOL APPLICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Finding time to have a social life, it has been seriously lacking since I've started with the lab. 
  4. Eating less red meat which is a major difficulty living with my meatatarian family!

Most important question: am I happy?

Overall, yes! I have achieved a lot of the things I wanted and haven't lost my sanity ^^ I'm scared and excited about the future and am confused about the whole weight thing.

Cheers
~Nadiya

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited about you, in general! You have so much great stuff going on in your life, I hope the weight questions will not bother you to much. I say if you feel good and you look good, then to hell with worries.
    I am bad at following my own advice on this sort of thing, but I should, haha.
    Keep us updated on the makeover things:) now I realize what you meant when you mentioned the makeover I your comment on my blog;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Life's super exciting right now and I have like a gazillion things I want to post about atm. I did go to Toronto for shopping yesterday so I'll be posting what I bought online :P

    The thing with weight change is that it's pretty much a symptom for A LOT of disease so if I just ate too much in Europe then what the heck, it'll slowly come off as I go back to eating normally and there's nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete