The research itself is pretty sweet which is very much the main reason I picked that lab. Basically, my prof is studying the process of blood vessel formation. I have miserably failed at trying to write something concise about his research so I'll need to devote a whole post to it :D
All in all, the prof is very approachable and easy to talk to. I sense that if I propose a new direction for my project or present a different perspective on things that he will be cool with it (as long as it's reasonable). I feel like he will be a good mentor and because his lab is new he has more time to devote to it instead of administrative duties. Don't worry about it! I thought through my decision rationally, going through all the pro's and con's as usual. I know it's not a "big name" lab and is a very new lab but I think that it will be a great learning environment. Really that's what's important during graduate school. Post-doctorial work is when you go to "big name" labs and go market yourself.
Side note, my new prof is a bicyclist! I'm not sure why I sensed that he'd be a biker... but then my hypothesis was proven true when I noticed a bike helmet in his office! Seriously, I can imagine him being one of those people who eat at Whole Foods and do races. I guess that's what happens when you do cardiovascular research and hear "atherosclerosis" too many times each day. Lol!
Now the crappy part! I have to do all of this safety training stuff before I can start. There is a session on June 12th but apparently it's full and the next one is only July 17th!!! Ughhh! I really don't want to wait a month -.-
Maybe someone will drop out... or I can just be patient and enjoy my time for some TRIathlon Training :D
![]() |
| View from the Toronto Island |
Sunday August 28- 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run. Pretty standard stuff.
Updates in terms of my training!
I finally bought a pair of minimalistic shoes. I know... about time. It's the Nike Free Run Shoes! So far so good. I'd say they're good shoes for someone who is midway in their barefoot transition. There's still some heel but it provides a good level of cushioning for road running.

Now here's a concern. My Bikram Yoga practice has been quite different since I've started triathlon training. I feel like all my back bends and non leg related stretches have gotten much better. However, the leg related poses have gotten worse for me. It's like all of the triathlon training has made my leg muscles stiff. A few ladies from my studio said that it's my body telling me I need to stretch my legs more. I guess I'll need to up my stretches.
How do you balance working out and stretching your muscles

Was just thinking about you this morning, and wondering how you and the lab situation were doing! Glad you found a place where you feel comfortable. Don't worry about the 'newness' - people endlessly debate new vs. old, but if the person is a good mentor, and has $, then it's fine. Work hard, think hard, communicate with him, and all will be well. [His athletic status = bonus!]
ReplyDeleteYes, once you start putting more mileage on your legs, you may lose some flexibility. That's OK, as long as you keep stretching. Watch for sore spots and pain that may result from too much tightness. But at the end of the day, a runner/cyclist will probably NEVER be as flexible as someone who spends most of their workout time practicing yoga. That's OK. Those muscles are good, and there is, actually, some degree of stability conferred by not being SUPER stretchy. I found this best described the blog of Ironwoman/yoga instructor/jack-of-all-trades-athletic Mary Eggers, in this post: http://ironmomma.com/2013/04/13/keeping-it-tight/
Just some food for thought, and a reminder to be your own athlete, and not compare yourself to anyone else!
Thanx for the advise Holly :) Yup, my prof is new but is loaded with $$$. My lab bench is right beside his! I can't slack off haha! Plus it's great to have someone with so much experience being there :P I used to see my old profs like once a month so I think it'll be a nice change.
DeleteTrue! I remember reading that being too flexible is bad for a runner because there's less stability. Sometimes I feel like it's not so much that I've lost flexibility as I can't do the stretch as deep because my leg is already sore. Different yoga classes can be either hit or miss. I guess it depends on what workouts I did prior.
Cool! I'll check out the link.
yea, finding a lab! I look forward to continued posts on the research you do there. Cool, too that you found the biking bond:)
ReplyDeleteThinking on the plank thing, it's probably not terrible not to do them ALL the time. The body likes to switch things up, do different things, so they can be something you can cycle back to at some point and it will be a brand new challenge, hehe. Or at least that is how I work my abs.
As for stretching, I do it obsessively, but I'm really hyperextended and not comfortable unless I am stretching, haha. I seriously lack strength though, even though I work at it, so maybe one has to pick their battles, sigh...
I'll see how much I can share on the blog :P I can't give away vital information that's not published yet because others can steal the idea :P
DeleteAgreed on the planking. I do a core component in yoga plus swimming works your abs to a certain extent too. I think they were great when I was just running but now it's become a bit of overkill.
Totally jelly about you and your uber flexibility :P Must have taken a while to get to that stage though!
Congrats on making your decision, but that is terrible you have to wait so long to get in. Fingers crossed someone will drop. But in the meantime, I think exercise (TRI training?!) will keep you busy :) Stretching, compression socks, and warm baths are my friends!
ReplyDeleteThanx Amy :) I totally am hoping that someone drops.
DeleteI'm still yet to use compression socks. Their ridiculously high price keeps on putting me off -.-
I was getting a little worried that you hadn't posted in a while.
ReplyDeleteBut congratulations! You've made a big, important decision and I hope it works out for you! Which University is this lab a part of?
And it's pretty cool that your atherosclerosis-saying prof is a cyclist. I wouldn't call him a "biker." That makes me think of motorcycle gangs.
And your tri training would totally make your legs tighter. Every time you use a muscle it gets a little tighter. Remember that yoga is not judgemental! It's about what your body is capable of!
Congratulations and good luck!
University of Toronto of course! That's probably the best place to do graduate school in Canada :) My lab is actually at the MaRS building!!!
DeleteHaha! Motorcycle gang lol! I can't imagine him riding a motorcycle...
Yeah, the yoga instructors always tell us that our practice changes throughout our lives. Yoga isn't judgmental for sure :) That's why I like it.
YAY I am so glad to hear that all of the stress and worrying can now go away! I knew you would find the perfect match eventually. You're going to do such a wonderful job at the lab :)
ReplyDeleteToronto Island is so gorgeous! A sprint triathlon there sounds amazing!
Also, yes, my yoga poses definitely get a little tougher when I'm focusing a lot on other training, whether it's running or weight lifting. I just don't push as hard :P
Than Alex. Surprisingly out of like 12 labs that I've interviewed at, I probably find this research the most interesting. So I guess everything worked out :)
DeleteToronto Island is really pretty. I've been there once back in grade 9 and I think it'll be great for a triathlon. The only thing is there won't be a lot of spectators :(
Good to know there's nothing wrong with my legs :P Yeah, I just try to go easy on the leg stretches when I know my legs are sore.
So glad to hear things are working out for you and you were able to get in a lab! I'm sure you will hit the ground running no matter when you end up starting. If you do have that extra time, enjoy yourself with your triathlon training and spending time with your friends and family!
ReplyDeleteMaking a decision is such a huge relief I bet! It sounds like a good one too! That tri sounds exciting! I'm not good on a bike, maybe one day!
ReplyDeleteThose shoes have such good reviews! I'm looking for hiking shoes for Hawaii- I might have to keep these in mind :) Love the color, too. It's hard to go wrong with purple ;)
ReplyDeleteBeen missing you around dear! The shoes are great. Sexy and comfy! be well.
ReplyDeleteYou won my giveaway! Email me a postal address please! :) thefitspirit@gmail.com
ReplyDelete