Saturday, July 28, 2012

The new lab + 5 Things About Me

Yup! I have disappeared from the blogosphere world for good 2 weeks. I did have a good excuse though :P

Anyway, I started working at my new lab now which is super duper exciting! The research is completely mind blowing. I can't really post all the details on the internet but the thing is that our cells are completely outnumbered by bacteria. Seriously, there are 10 times more bacteria cells within our body then our own. These bacteria can produce small molecules through this complicated non-ribosomal peptide/ polyketide synthesis pathway which allows for formation of some kick ass molecules. Most of these are antibiotics, antifungals, anti-cancer agents, and things of that jazz. The specific molecule I'm working with actually decreases plaque formation in our arteries and has already been synthesized (after slightly tweaking the structure) and used in drug trials. Pretty wicked ha?

The one thing that scares the <beep> out of me is the amount of work needed in the lab. Many people work overnight and I feel like a complete sucker being there 10-12 hours a day 0.0 They are so hard core! So after all those hours plus a 2.5 hour commute (1 hour of which is walking thank goodness) I've had like no time to make up recipes. :(

Didn't really have a recipe for this post but after catching up on some blog reading I was inspired to do a 5 Things About Me by Vicky from Sweet and Healthy Living (I love this girl's posts!)



So here we go :)

#1. Ok this is a given... I'm a nerd! Complete and total nerd! It was quite interesting telling a guy on a date that I grow cancer... I'm sure he got scared 0.0

#2. I've had a surgery on my lungs when I was a month old. I do have perfectly normal lungs now, no duh! How else would I do synchronized swimming?

#3. I have the scrawniest arms ever and tiny wrists! Strangely enough I have jacked cafs. Did I mention I'm 5'8" and my legs are totally over a meter long (I think like 1.1m) hehe... had to show off :P What I do struggle with body wise is my acne :( It did get much better in the last year though.

#4. I'm an only child :( Yup! It gets lonely but I've learned to keep myself entertained ^^

#5. I'm hoping to run a half marathon this October and another in the beginning of May. Maybe a marathon afterwards? I have to figure out what country/ continent I want to live on first...

That's all for now :)
~Nadiya

PS: I will be posting more about Brussels and Amsterdam soon along with some recipes :P

6 comments:

  1. I totally know the feeling of having your day sucked away by work and commuting, I'm commuting at the moment and it is completely exhausting! Sounds really interesting though, I wish I understood more about science but I was so bad at it at school that they wouldn't let me study it anymore haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are hard core with your work day, I am not even sure I would last a day with that routine.

    I have 8 siblings so too much time to myself & I go a little crazy, just not used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for being a nerd! The stuff you study is awesome to hear about, even if I don't grasp everything(being as I am more of the literary need type).
    And I feel ya on the skinny arms thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah- Each to their own :) I can never do English or literature... I just don't get it no matter how hard I try.

    Marie- Wow :O I can't imagine living with 8 siblings. I'd go crazy without my personal space!

    Ellen- Skinny arms and small boobs--> story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a long commute! i hope you read on the non walking parts!
    i loved getting to know you a bit better! do you think you're a nerd just because you work in the field that you do? or does it go beyond that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup I read on the bus most of the time or sometimes take a nice nap :P I do have an inner nerd, I just love studying and reading and I can talk about how cool science is for ages! But no I don't look like a nerd... I don't wear glasses, dress "normal", don't have brasses, have friends and I'm much more fit than your average nerd.

    ReplyDelete