Anyways on with my foodie post!
I've got two
friends. One is vegetarian and another is paleo. When the two of them get
together it's a little difficult to accommodate their eating styles. Well, the
one thing that they can both eat is raw vegan food. We're talking substituting
the tortilla for greens for the paleo girl, and swapping meat for walnuts for
the vegetarian. Whatever, it's still delish.
Surprisingly delish.
At first I was hesitant about making… Replacing ground meat with walnuts and
wrapping things in a collard green. What is this? I was wrong, wrong on many
levels. This dish is absolutely delicious. Delicious enough for my meatatarian mother
to devour. Not only did she eat her portion, but took bites of mine too.
Ok one thing, this
recipe does include soy sauce which I guess isn't technically paleo or raw. So
if you're actually strictly paleo you'll want to use Coconut Aminos instead. My friend isn't a strict paleo so should be ok for her :P
I was hesitant about
using "leaves" instead of something more substantial like bread.
Trust me, these bad boys have plenty of holding over power. Think about it,
you're eating 1/2 cup of walnuts at a time and I would assume that's quite a
bit of calories.
If there's one thing
I love about raw vegan food is that it takes second to prepare. Literally, most
of the cooking consists of throwing things into a food processor and blending
for a minute or two. That's all.
Same idea with this
recipe, it takes less then 5 minutes to make. Won't that be an awesome dinner
or a quick thing to put together if you're friends are coming over?
Look at it… you know
you want it :P
Elf Wrap (AKA Walnut Wrap)
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 cup of walnuts
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp ground
corriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
Pinch of pepper
2 big collard green
leaves
Salsa of choice!
Directions
Blend the walnuts
with the other ingredients. You want it to be ground meat like consistency. You
don't want it to become like nut butter :P Took me about a minute or two to
grind but I used a tiny and weak food processor.
Scoop half of the
walnut mixture onto each washed collard green. Place it on the dull side.
Cut of the big
chunky stem of the collard green.
Add a bit of salsa
to the collard green.
Wrap the goodness
like you would a burrito.
Cut in half.
Eat.
Combine with some
fruits for a dinner in under 5 minutes!
Who knew Elf Like Food would taste so good :P
Cool! I had a walnut-cranberry "meat" raw taco in lettuce at this vegan place recently and was blown away. I want to try this!
ReplyDeleteOoh I love the cranberry addition idea 0.0 Now we both have something to try :D
DeleteSounds great!
ReplyDeleteGlad you like it :D
DeleteI have to say, it definitely LOOKS interesting. Nuts and seeds are always a great way to appease different eating styles (unless, of course, they're allergic to nuts . . . :) ).
ReplyDeleteYup! I guess nuts and seeds are truly healthy that they're part of all these different eating styles.
DeleteAah... I always forget about allergies and feel horrible whipping out my "nut baggy" in the bus. Really hope no one is allergic :S