Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Plank Update

My body has been screaming once again. It's tired... I developed this annoying itching sensation in my nose on Friday night that has now progressed to a cold. Hence, I tucked into bed with a scarf around my neck and didn't go running in 4C weather this weekend. I was smart to stay at home all of Saturday and just do homework. However, I had a conference to attend that I was organizing on Sunday so I was out of the house for good 8-9 hours. Blah! That made me feel even worse. I came back home on Sunday and slept for 11 hours!!! I usually get 6-7 hours a night! Well I took a day off on Monday and just stayed at home. In the morning I emailed a bunch of profs for nutritional sciences, did a bit of cooking, chilled with family, read, watched a show with my mom, and played Sims 3 for like 2 hours! Uber relaxing and much needed rest day! Oh.. I drank a lot of tea today! Yummy Roobois!


Since I've done an update on barefoot running, I though I'd should give an update on my planking.


I'll start with the good news. My side planks have been doing awesome. Holding them for 1 minute on each side is getting pretty darn easy. Now here's how I should feel about it.
Well... The problem is that it doesn't burn anymore. Time to make things harder, aka bring that dumbbell. What's great for side planks is that you can easily incorporate dumbbells as one of your hands is completely free. This week I'll start off adding in a 3lbs and if that's still really easy I'll bring on the 7lbs! YaY!

As for full plank... I've noticed a difference in my shoulders. They feel harder especially closer top of the spine and shoulders. Probably it's my trapezius muscle getting stronger. Also, my mom noticed that my biceps have gotten significantly bigger. Yay! Now I don't know if these are exactly from planking or hot yoga, but it's still exciting. 


On the other hand, my plank times have been stagnant if not even a bit worse. My culprit is overuse because I basically do a plank everyday when I don't do Bikram Yoga. That might just be too much to handle as you pretty much engage the core muscles in most Bikram Yoga postures. Maybe a bit of rest is needed. Alternatively, it might all just be in my head!

Now a bit of planking motivation. This picture is the coolest thing ever!!!

PS: Post for next week. Back exercises to compliment ab training. I do a whole back set at Bikram Yoga so I never talk about back exercises, however they are highly important!

If you plank, how have your planks been progressing? Do you do back exercises?

18 comments:

  1. Planking is still totally difficult for me, but I'm working at it. love the plankspiration photo! How cool is that?! I have a cold too and it is a total bummer, hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww hope you feel better :)

      Yeah, planks take time. Just keep working on it :D

      Delete
  2. :( after reading your post I feel like Iam one of those 'ancient' girls who strike two stones to set a fire! Why?
    As I have not been w.out and Iam slacking day by day:(

    Wow--you can plank 'easily' for a minute.
    Do you do Bikram yoga at home in a class or at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Bikram yoga is done at 40C so I have to go to a special hot yoga studio. :P

      Go plank! NOW! :P

      Delete
  3. So exciting to feel like you are making progress, and seeing results! I love that feeling. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Kristen :) My side planks are doing great :D

      Delete
  4. I do planks all the time! I love how they work your entire core, along with other parts of your body. I like adding in some "up-down" planks to increase the intensity and keep my muscles guessing.

    So glad you liked the lentil burgers!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I've been doing up-down planks. Love them!

      Yes, my mom loved lentil burgers too!

      Delete
  5. I sometimes do plank-ups, but I switch ab routines about once a month, so whenever I come to one that involves planks it is always a challenge again. That's hardcore, deciding to weight the planks, you wildwoman;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanx :) My side planks have been responding well to training! I'm looking forward to those obliques of steel :P

      Delete
  6. I hope you are feeling better now. Everyone in my office has been sick EXCEPT for me!! I am trying to keep my distance from everyone. I don't plank. As a runner, it is so easy to just run and be done. I am finally excited about a zumba-like class that I am taking. It is totally out of my comfort zone. Maybe planking will be next!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that all the undergraduate students in my lab are sick but everyone else is fine. I guess it's just the pre-exam stress lol. Hope you stay nice and healthy though :D

      I know what you mean, after spending so much time running it's really easy to pass on any strength training. I'm sure planking will in some way help your running :)

      Delete
  7. That last photo is killer! The guy on the bottom is a beast.

    I give you so many props for doing this plank challenge! I HATE planks, it's like the longest 60 seconds of my life. Super cool that they're getting easier for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanx! They get easier with time, consistency is key though :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanx Susannah :) and thanx for stopping by my blog :D

      Delete
  9. Hope you feel better soon!!! Sounds rough. Glad you got a rest day though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a rest day was magical :) No homework, no lab work, no interviews (I had to reschedule one). T'was a nice relaxing day :D

      Delete