Saturday, May 5, 2012

Pre-Race

I'm so excited yet kind of nervous at the same time. I mean I've ran 10k about three times before and I've also ran 12.5k. Not to mention I'd run 7-8k on the regular basis... but still now it's the real thing. However, I shouldn't feel pressured because I have no PR to beat nor am I trying to win the race nor do my parents/ grandparents care what place I get. This is along Lake Ontario so it should be pretty plus the weather seems pleasant ^^


One of the things that does worry me is my legs. After I got better from the virus, I think I upped my mileage way too fast and now my legs have been hurting a bit. It's more like pain at my knees and ankles :S I've been icing and it doesn't hurt when I walk plus it seemed ok when I ran the 12.5k. I think I'm really psyching myself out. Any way, after this race I won't be running for over a month because of my Europe trip :D Hopefully that'll be enough time to heal. Also, when I come back I'm hoping that my swimming pool will be finally fixed so I'll be doing MUCH MORE cross-training.

Now food! Running and training is just one part of the deal, what you eat is another. I know 10k is a small race so I don't need to do anything fancy like carbon loading but I should still be careful of what I eat. The thing is I always run in the mornings but today's race starts at 6:30pm... which is when I have dinner :S I've read articles about it and it suggests to eat a lot of simple carbs while avoiding fiber, fat, and protein. Another thing for me is avoid dairy as dairy+running= laxative. Also, no trying anything new today, man my oatgurt just became ready for consumption. Simply eating calorie dense foods to keep my stomach somewhat empty while still having tons of energy. If you think about it, the stomach is right below the diaphragm so you don't want it churning as you run. At least for me, eating right before running gives me diaphragm cramps :S

For breakfast, I just finished my banana oatmeal, some cottage cheese with a handful of crackers and herbal tea ( I usually have regular tea). Probably going to have pasta and probably a bit of fish for lunch, snack on grapes/ nuts/ granola, and I'm thinking something light but filling like a bagel with peanut banana butter pre-race. After the race I'll see what there is at the finish line and finally have some protein and veggies along with more carbs at home. This is the hypothetical plan, I'll see how things go and improvise :) Hopefully my tummy will be ok with this as there's nothing worse than feeling like you need to go to the loo in the middle of the race :P Ooh also drink lots of water ^^

2 comments:

  1. You're going to Europe!? Exciting! Don't worry about a month off, you'll be walking lots and enjoying vacation time. I can't run at all (stress fracture) and it's been 3 months now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Hopefully you'll recover soon. So excited for Europe xD I'm actually looking forward to having a month off of running just to give my knees/ ankles a break. I'll still be getting tonnes of exercise with all the walking but it won't be as much impact on the joints :D

    ReplyDelete