Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rosehip Chia Pudding

Paris... Love... Roses... Thorns... Sweet... Sour... Rosehip Chia Pudding???

After a rose blooms it leaves a fruit, aka Vitamin C filled bombs called rosehip. I guess love is good for the immune system :P


I'm not going to lie but my family found these massive rose bushes in a local park and picked the rosehips on Canadian Thanksgiving (middle October). Then we washed them, dried them, cleaned them from stems and leaves. So I suggest finding a rose bush near you or maybe you can get these babes at a local health food store (they're often used to make tea).

To start off you need to rehydrate them by soaking overnight in 1 cup water. In the morning add another 1 cup of water and simmer the mixture for good 20 minutes. You'll see that the water will change colour and will have a pleasant sour taste.


Here's the hardest part... The rosehips have a lot of seeds inside and they are super hard and irritate your pallet. So they've got to go! What I do is take the cooked rosehip and grind them up in a food processor. Then dilute the mixture by adding 2/3 cup of water, mix it, and pass it through a strainer. Discard the seeds


You should end up with a seed-free gooey mixture. At this point the mixture will be pretty thick so I suggest adding 2-3 tbsp of water. Now you need to sweeten up the mixture to taste and add in 1.5 tbsp of chia seeds.


Leave in the fridge for a few hours et voila! Sweet and sour concoction of love aka...
Rosehip Chia Pudding!


4 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had rosehip... I do love rosewater though! I'll look for these when I 'm at the farmer's market next. I bet it would be awesome in home-brewed kombucha too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tastes very much different from rosewater, it's more of a sour taste. I suggest checking a health food store for the rosehip itself, they should have the tea for sure. Ooh, rosehip kombucha style :O Interesting :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosehip chia pudding! That sounds awesome. Chia seeds can make already-great things even better, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I <3 chia seeds! Especially their slimy texture hehe!

    ReplyDelete