Now the crazy thing... MEDICAL SCHOOL APPLICATIONS (AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! keep screaming for a long long long long while...) I mean the process itself is really annoying because you have to have a verifier for every little activity that you do. For example, I had to find someone who could prove that I lived at a certain location when I was 12. Gee that was 8 years ago! Another one is me volunteering for something 6 years ago and the volunteer co-ordinator switching jobs. Why that's lovely! My transcript hasn't arrive yet. Are you serious, I've ordered it a month ago and it's due in 4 days!!!??? I still have to bug profs for references... It's crazy how school just started and I'm already way in over my head. Mommy! All I can do at this point is take a deep breath and keep carrying on. Just 12 weeks (11 now) plus exams and this term will be over. You can do it! I mean most people have much more hectic lives than me, so suck it up!
Sorry for the rant :P This weekend was the Vegetarian Food Festival in Toronto, I really wanted to go but got delayed at the lab. Bummers... So if you can't watch a presentation live, you youtube ofcourse. Hence, I really wanted to share this video.
It's basically a medical doctor talking about the leading causes of death in North America. Is it a given that heart conditions, cancer, and lung problems are the top 3? The risk of all of these can be greatly reduce by following a vegan diet and exercise by the way. Now the scary part! I believe reason number 6 was adverse drug reactions or improper dosages. CRAZY and I want to be a doctor!? That statistic came on as a shock to me 0.0 I mean, you can't die from following a vegan diet so why not use that instead of bullshit like lipitor and metformin? Gee I'm kind of working with a cholesterol lowering drug myself at the lab. It gets me thinking whether I'm actually doing something for the good of the society or not...
As for now I have formulated a new dream. What if I could be an endocrinologist and have my own diabetes clinic, but a unique one. I'll have running/ walking exercises for my patients in the mornings, healthy cooking sessions for them, organize grocery shopping trips, and use drugs if necessary (some people do get diabetes due to genetic reasons). So instead of working 10 hours a day at a clinic, I could work just 8 and then devote the other 2 towards the previously mentioned activities.
I wonder if you guys know any doctors who have done something like this in the past?
I really like the idea of more "holistic" treatments (not sure if that's the right word). What I mean is, taking everything into account - nutrition, physical activity, mental wellness, etc - and not just drugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you missed the food festival :(
I love your business model, hopefully going forward more people/Drs. will think along those lines. The crazy thing is Diabetes wreaks such havoc, costs us millions upon millions of dollars, takes away your quality of life and it's 100% avoidable!!!!!! (Type II anyway)
ReplyDeleteMy dad and brother have type I and have taken such good care of themselves always, but still their health suffers. My dad got a kidney and pancreas transplant 17 years ago at Stanford, it went kaput last year so he is back on dialysis. But 16 years! Not bad huh?
I'm sorry to hear about your dad and brother. Type I diabetes is very unfortunate and isn't preventable. However, type II is a lifestyle disease and as you've said costs us a heck a lot of money. I love the government funds bullshit things like invading middle eastern countries while clearly there's something wrong within its own country. The thing is that doctors aren't trained about nutrition and a lot of them don't take care of themselves either. It's very unfortunate and I hope I can somehow make a change.
ReplyDelete