Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Chocolate and First Barefoot Running Mistake

I'm guilty. I ate like **** while in Switzerland. The first day when we arrived all of the stores were already closed and eating out was way out of budget. Are you serious that McDonald's burger is 8$ and actual food is more along the lines of 30$. So if you ever come to Switzerland remember to pack some $$$, it's quite a pricey country! What did I eat that night? Umm... granola bars dipped in PB! Hey it was delicious! I did go to sleep hungry though with the hopes of a proper breakfast buffet to make up for it.

Oh wait. Did I forget that I was staying in a jail? I somehow managed to eat that stale bread after covering it with tonnes of butter and honey. C'mon, butter makes everything tasty :) For lunch, I went to a grocery store and there it was waiting for me. The gold of all gold (unless you're vegan), what I was waiting for in Switzerland, the gorgeous and ridiculously cheap Gruyere Cheese. Yum! Ate like 200g of it within 2 days. Along with that I bought a huge loaf of bread and went to go sit along side Lake Lucerne. So European care-free style! Until the swans showed up and starred me down to give them some bread...


Other eats included walking from one chocolate store to another and eating up their samples. I also bought some chocolate to take Canada with me. Didn't really get a picture because they got a bit squished!

Source: http://www.theswissbakeryonline.com/store/c/72-Cailler.html
The Frigor Dark Chocolate is amazing. It was just appropriately sweet and really creamy due to the almond filling. Absolute delight for any dark chocolate lover! I wish I bought multiple bars :(

Source: http://www.coopathome.ch/b2c_coop/coop/deeplink.do?nav=SUPERMKT
The Kirsh Chocolate is good... if you really enjoy the taste of alcohol. It's really quite strong, more like overwhelmingly strong. I'd say you barely taste the chocolate, just the Kirsh.
Source: http://www.swisschocolate-online.com

The Chocolate Mousse was disappointing. I might have been really old but it was nothing like what you'd expect from a candy bar like Aero. It was bland and had nothing mousse like about it :(

Apart from chocolate, if you're ever in Switzerland do check out all of their jewelery and watch stores. They're absolutely gorgeous! Plus how often do you get to see a 100,000$ watch!?

As for Barefoot Running! Things are progressing... slowly. I do experience a bit of soreness in my calves some days and it is kind of annoying that I don't do more then 30 minutes of running a week. I still do about an hour of fast walking so I am getting the recommended daily exercise ^^ Now the mistake. Well I've been overdoing the forefoot/ mid-foot landing aspect in that I've been landing on the ball of my feet all the time and my heel would never even come in contact with the floor. Apparently that's how you're supposed to run when you're sprinting! When you continue it for long distances it strains your calves. Therefore, I'm working on making sure that I lend somewhere in between forefoot and mid-foot first and then slowly let my heel come down to the floor. As with everything- balance is key!

Do you guys have any particular chocolates that you love? I know it's so hard to choose :D

18 comments:

  1. ooooh I love seeing the different types of chocolates from other countries!
    I can't believe how expensive the food is :S

    It's good you recognized where you're going wrong with the running!

    I just love all white chocolate and milk chocolate. The "cheaper" stuff is fine with me - hersheys cookies n creme, coffee crisp, mars, kitkats, oh henry, ferrero rocher..I need to stop. lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Switzerland is a very rich and hence expensive country. Oh well I really like Gruyere cheese so I really didn't mind. It was like $2.50 for 200g or something uber cheap like that.

    Ooh! Dark chocolate ferrero rocher is amazing :P I don't really have a sweet tooth so I have problems with milk chocolate. That's what you gotta love about chocolate- just like wine and cheese there're so many varieties to fit everyone's taste buds :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out info about the socks!! They are supposed to be amazing for blood flow and recovery especially. I can't WAIT to get them!
    I'm glad there was nothing major in terms of fights with roommates, I'd find that sooo difficult to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great...now I'm craving chocolate! :D Good that you caught the forefoot landing early! My friend strained her calf from ball of foot landing and it took almost a year to recover. I had lots of calf soreness when I transitioned...foam rolling, ART and CEP calf compression sleevs are what saved me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Milka--Its an europeon chocolate & its delish.
    I could eat away the whole box without a blink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butter DOES make everything better! You are right on on that one:)
    As for chocolates I like-it is hard to go wrong with a Godiva truffle.
    My trashy chocolate fix, however, are those chocolate covered cherries that have a sort of creamy interior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's 8am here and that chocolate sounds so amazing :P

    " landing on the ball of my feet all the time and my heel would never even come in contact with the floor."
    I experimented with some minimalist shoes and I definitely found myself doing this - essentially running on my toes - and my calves were SO sore later. Thank you for the info! I will have to pay more attention to my heel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't feel guilty! Eating less healthily is just part of traveling; it's very hard to keep up when you don't have access to a kitchen. Glad the barefoot running adventure is progressing even if you're hitting a few road blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do I have an opinion on chocolate? Please. My husband has traveled all over for business and brings back chocolate every time. I have to say hands down See's candy in the states is better than any other chocolate ever! Even Belgium. Have you ever had See's? It's the absolute best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. greengirlrunning- Wow! Thank goodness I noticed my mistake now. What your friend went through sounds horrible 0.0

    Z- Milka... haven't seen that one but I'll keep my eye out for it ;)

    Ellen- Girl you're reading my mind. There's a Godiva store opening up soon close to my house and I love love love love love truffles. Like LOVE truffles. Can't wait for it to open now ^^

    Alex- Glad you noticed it too! We're naturally supposed to land more on out toes as our speed increases. It's strange though that it happens even when you're going at a slow pace.

    thescientistandthehealthnut- Yeah, being a whole month without a kitchen was pretty tough, but so worth the experience :)

    Marie- Belgium chocolate is amazing. I have like a pound of some dark chocolate from there. See's... now I haven't heard of it but I'll be on the look out. Thanx :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaand now I want a chocolate bar ;D My current favorite is Dagoba's Eclipse bar. 85% dark, good, amazing chocolate. And I had no idea Switzerland was so expensive! $8 for McD's?? No thanks. I'd much rather have PB-covered-granola-bars anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing wrong with granola bars dipped in PB. So good! :) I really, really want some chocolate now. I may need to head to the vending machine. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha granola bars and PB is the bomb! It wasn't very healthy granola bars though- more like the chocolate ones... hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can i just say, THANKS for your support on my blog and your kind words all the time. I really appreciate it!

    You're such a smart and sensible young lady, I'm so glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A question totally unrelated: You should watch 'Homeland' its interesting ;)

    And about your kale smoothie suggestion: I so do not like veggies. I don't like bananas either. So I don't think I will be into smoothies.
    I wonder why did I have to put on weight? Had I not I could have just eaten whatever and still worked-out ;)

    And--appreciate you following me and commenting. It helps;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Z- The cool thing about the green smoothy is that you can barely taste the kale. It's kind of like drinking a banana milkshake and you can use pretty much any fruit. I guess the thing with vegetable like pretty much any food is that you need time to develop the taste for them. Are there any vegetables that you don't hate? Maybe start off with incorporating those into your food and then slowly adding in other veggies. You'd be surprised but tastes change. I remember when I just started university I though pizza tasted good, now it tastes way too salty and gross to me.

    Also try checking out vitamix recipes. I've been to one of their demonstrations before and they made ice cream. Except it had broccoli in it and one would never guess!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As it's not possible to find an email, how can we contact you ?
    It's to discuss about Swiss chocolates.

    ReplyDelete