Saturday, November 3, 2012

Plain damn awesome!

I have no plunged my self into preparing for my stem cells midterm this monday and gosh it's so cool! While taking a  break I managed to run into this video. Trust there are mouse that glow in the dark and it's not that difficult to make them :) The other cool thing is that the Nobel Prize Physiology and Medicine winners this year are in the field of stem cells. They received the prize for showing that you can take regular cells and convert them into their original undifferentiated form. Pretty cool! I actually had to read one of Dr. Yamanaka's papers for class :D

Another cool thing I'd suggest watching is this video. It talks about the benefits of being an introvert and with respect to science it is more than true. Being in a lab is quite a solitary job and even though there're other people with you in the lab there is minimal communication. To be honest, you are the most productive in the lab when you are alone without distractions. Kind of ironic because science also requires collaboration to progress...

Apart from my TED video watching, I have had the chance to try some more of my nutritional supplement samples.


This Rockstar Energy Drink I got after completing my BadAss Dash and came in Guava Flavour. It tastes delicious and is fizzy. I did make a stupid mistake and drink it at like 10pm... I didn't fall asleep until 3am! Whoops! This was because: 

a) I had to go pee a lot--> it was 473mL on top of my massive dinner salad!
b) It's got 300mg of caffeine
c) Also there is 2000mg of taurine (ewww)
I felt fine the next day so no side effects. I'm not sure if it has any negative health effects but will come in useful if you need an extra boost to study for that midterm!


The Progressive VegeGreens was awesome. One day I was in lab until pretty late and didn't pack my massive dinner salad. Solution- drink a concoction of this green goodness. It is made up of 60 different vegetables and has tonnes of nutrients. I have tried the Natural Berry Flavour which was sweetened with stevia and it tasted ok. I mean it was good considering that it's a green drink! I've been reading up on it on other blogs as well and people have been making claims that they have much more energy & feel healthier. I don't think that drinking it once really made a difference for me but I am considering buying a case (it's like 1$ per serving though).

Last I tried the Progressive PhytoBerry which is supposed to be an antioxidant supplement. It was alright in terms of taste and I would much rather eat raw berries. However, this is something that could come in useful during the winter months when there are no fresh berries around (unless you're lucky enough to live in California).

Do you guys take any nutritional supplements? If so, do you notice a difference in your health?

9 comments:

  1. I take biotin. I swear within a couple months of taking it my hair got sronger. I used to have to constantly clean up hairs I shed from my shower and whatnot and now I hardly shed at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! Healthy hair is always a plus ^^ My hair has actually become very nice a silky ever since I moved home. I think it's a combination of good nutrition/ exercise and that I haven't been swimming that much :( Another tip for good hair is gelatin :P We used to put it in our hair for synchro and after washing it out it'd be super smooth! It's like applying pure protein onto your hair ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man - I cannot handle those energy drinks! they make me feel like i'm having a heart attack yikes!
    i have done the supplement thing and am not crazy about them, i think you can get most things you need from eating well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not very sensitive to caffeine so I survived that one :P I totally agree with you about getting enough nutrients through your food, however it could come in useful if you're travelling or something ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never touch caffeine after 3pm! Otherwise, it's a long night (and then the next day is long, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow 0.0 I can drink coffee at 10pm and be nicely asleep by midnight. Kind of wish it worked sometimes though during exam time lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take a bunch of vitamins/supplements/etc. to go with my current training...but I'll admit, I haven't noticed any of it doing anything, haha. But taking it makes me feel like I'm doing good things for my body--and that's the important part, right? Haha.

    And now I want a pet glow-in-the-dark mouse...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I take Omega-3 capsules daily and there has been a lot of talk about my hair getting smoother. Then again my whole diet/lifestyle has been changed and I haven't been swimming much. Hence, I'm not sure if it's specifically the supplements that are doing something.

    As for the mice check this out...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jFTyUpw2Zgw

    Who knows, glow in the dark chickens next? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glow in the dark chickens? Don't even tempt me--I would spend ridiculous amounts of money to own one of those.

    ReplyDelete