I'm actually pretty happy because I have had a Green Smoothie everyday this week and I've been keeping up with my exercises to transition into barefoot running. So those are becoming habits- yay! Apart from that my exams will be starting a week from now and I might be going to Mexico after those are done. Don't quote me on that :P
I found it really cute how there are so many people posting what they're thankful for in their lives. I know that Canadian Thanksgiving has passed a long time ago, but that doesn't mean that I can't right a post about it :P
1) Being Alive!
I don't really want to get into all the medical stuff but I've had a congenital defect (lung cyst) that I've had removed when I was a month old. So I'm thankful that my mom didn't get an abortion despite doctors telling her to, that the Soviet Union broke up a few months after I was born so that I could be delivered in Moscow, and that my surgeon didn't die two months earlier then he did so he was able to actually operate on me. I'm thankful for my godmother for letting my family stay with her in Moscow and helping us find the best surgeon. That's a mouthful!
2) Being Healthy!
Despite having my thymus removed due to the surgery and hardly having T-cells (as tested several years back), I don't get sick more than an average human being. My body is strong, I can run, I can swim, I'm fit- mind & body.
![]() |
| SYNCHRO! |
Very much self explanatory.
![]() |
| Mommy and I <3 |
If I was in Ukraine right now, I wouldn't be able to even think about applying to medical school. You simply can't get in unless you have money- you have to buy your grades. It's really terrible.
Also, I never really cared about school as a tween and I'm really thankful that I've had some amazing nerdy friends who have pushed me in the right direction.
![]() |
| BFFs <3 |
5) Again- Being Alive!
This time not in the sense of physically being alive, but mentally. When I go to sleep I always have something to long forward to the next day. I have ambitions, goals, and aspirations. I have a family that loves me unconditionally, and friends that will listen to all the crazy shinanigans I might get myself into. Even though I'm not always at peace with myself and do have self-esteem issues (it's an ongoing struggle)- I'm fighting to keep myself sane.
![]() |
| Venice- Coming up :D |
6) That someone live you has taken their time to read this <3




I am VERY interested to see how your transition to barefoot running goes.
ReplyDeleteAch, you've had a super busy week. GOOD LUCK with exams next week..how many do you have? I'll be thinking of you! And, uhh Mexicooo?? I hope you go!!
I love your list - being alive, healthy and having your loved ones around..that's all we need, right? :)
THANKS for your sweet words about my lack of confidence. Working on this issue. grrr!
I'm also really interested to hear about your barefoot experiences!
ReplyDeleteMEXICO! If you go to Mexico City, definitely get in touch - we went a few years ago and absolutely loved it.
"Even though I'm not always at peace with myself and do have self-esteem issues (it's an ongoing struggle)- I'm fighting to keep myself sane."
I love this. I wish I could remind myself of this everyday!
Education is such a blessing I agree. We said a family prayer before I pushed the kids out the door to school this morning and I always say how grateful we are for the free country we live in and for the wonderful education available to them. They all love school and work really hard.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you had positive friends who encouraged you while young, it makes all the difference.
Amira- Haha I've officially made my first barefoot running mistake and my next post will be about that. I only have my stem cells and pharmacology exams because one of my courses is year long and I'm doing a massive thesis project (why I'm in the lab all the time). So yeah 2 exams and 2 presentations for my thesis. ^^
ReplyDeleteAlex- I'm actually going somewhere near Cancun ^^ So excited to see the Mayan Pyramids! My self-esteem issues are actually really bad in the sense that I use it as motivation. Kind of like "oh I'm stupid- I should study more or take a hard course or go read something on my spare time". It's really not a great way to keep myself motivated. I wish I could be like "oh I'm so smart that it would be a waste of my talent if I didn't learn this." This topic owes a post of it's own!
ReplyDeleteMarie- That is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard! Yes friends make a whole world of a difference. I was lucky to go to a very study oriented school because there was no **** like drama, crazy or irresponsible parties, and it was a really friendly atmosphere. Make sure to do a lot of research for when your kids go to high school it will make all the difference in terms of what college/ university they end up going to.
ReplyDeleteI love the gratitude! I would wax poetic on the importance of it but I'm braindead from travelling today. Cheers to life!
ReplyDeleteAmazing post Nadiya--you truly are inspiring girl!
ReplyDeleteI'm 31(shusshh) and I'm a mom, home-maker & a wife. I'm thankful for all of this, and I would like to add some activity in my life. I wish I could swim. But, here there are NO fe-male instructors and I know I will never swim :(
PS: I loved the Venice pic(It's sooo me) In fact my next blog will talk about my wilder side lol
Ellen- "Cheers to life", well said. Aww hope you rest up :)
ReplyDeleteZ- Awww! I wish I could fly to you and teach you how to swim. It's truly an amazing sport. Do you have any friends who know how to swim? Maybe they can show you...