Saturday, April 20, 2013

Immunometabolism- The immune response behind obesity

Our immune system keep us alive. Starting from skin, the first barrier, to highly specific antibodies it gets the job done. Most of the time...

Sometimes things get out of control and the immune responses within our bodies target our own cells or are out of control. The examples are numerous including type I diabetes, lupus erythematosus, Hashimoto's, rheumatoid arthritis, the list goes on. However, who knew that metabolism could be linked with the immune system?

The truth is that our adipose tissue (fat cells) are highly metabolic. They produce hormones but most importantly adipokines. These adipokines are a type of cytokines which are molecules that regulate the immune response. Cell don't speak, but instead they use molecules to relay their messages. Thus, these adipokines are a way for adipose cells to communicate with immune cells to either get activated or repressed.

Some of the adipokines are pro-inflammatory, specifically tumor necrosis factor (TNF) and interleukin-6 (IL-6). However, some adipokines are anti-inflammatory like adiponectin and interleukin-10 (IL-10). These are just some examples of adipokines. Upon weight gain or "adipose tissue expansion", the production of the pro-inflammatory adipokines increases, but the amount of anti-inflammatory adipokines goes down.

Along side the fat tissue are located macrophages, a type of white blood cells. These macrophages can get activated by the pro-inflammatory adipokines and relay the message to other immune cells. Hence, you get low level chronic inflammation within the body. 



The problem with these chronic levels of low inflammation is that they lead to other health conditions such as insulin resistance and atherosclerosis. The scary thing is that abdominal adipocytes have the most metabolic activity while lower-body adipocytes (thighs, bum) have the least. This means that having more abdominal fat puts you at risk of things like diabetes and atherosclerosis. It also explains why for women having a pear shaped is considered much healthier than an apple shape.

Pretty cool, ain't it?
PS: It snowed today in Toronto 0.o I know, it's the end of April!!! Anyone else experiencing anything like that?

14 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff, esp. with the pear vs. apple shapes for women.

    Cannot believe you got snow! I think the seasons are moving back since it is still cold in April but December was warm as anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting :)

      Yeah :S It is like the seasons have shifted -.- I just hope it's warm on my race day because it was kind of hard to run yesterday. My friend and I literally ran with scarfs around our necks lol!

      Delete
  2. It snowed in Illinois yesterday, too! What's going on around here?!? I'm ready for spring and warmer weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ludachris!!! I remember running in short shorts around this time last year, yesterday I ran with a scarf on. It was like 26C a few days back, but it's like 1C right now.

      Delete
  3. Wow...science is interesting.

    Snow....in april. wow.
    I recall my hubby telling me tht sm people blv we are going to bcm smthg like ice age...when its all over...post dooms day I mean.
    Maybe thats what the snow means in april end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... I think I'll just trust Michelle's theory :P Yeah.. the climate has been changing a bit in Canada because when I first came we used to frequently have things like -20C but the winters have been mild lately. I hope global warming isn't actually true :S

      Delete
  4. Scary about how metabolically active abdominal fat is. I hope I can avoid getting too much of a belly as I continue to age, just have to stay active and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abdominal fat is quite scary especially since a lot of people I see have beer bellies :P I wonder why it's different from fat around the rest of the body though...

      Delete
  5. Interesting difference in the metabolism of cells.

    Hope you are staying warm with the recent snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never thought I'd be happy for all the flesh on my hips and thighs, but I guess I should be!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, hips and thigh fat are way better than tummy fat :) That's one of the hypotheses for why women live longer then men- it's because we store out fat in the thighs but they store it in their bellies :P

      Delete
  7. Science is awesome! Thank you for breaking this down into lamens terms.

    What is the apple body shape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Paul :)

      Haha sry there're different female body shapes (not sure about males). Apple shaped means that you store your fat in your stomach area and have a small bum and thin arms and legs. Basically, it's like having a beer belly. Pear shaped is where a women has a big bum and thighs. Most women are pear shaped.

      Delete