I've had a bit of an unexpected disappointment. For my long runs I typically run over to my friend's house (about 4.5km) then we run together and then I'd finish off my required mileage on my own. Well... we've miscalculated things. We thought that the distance we'd run together was 10 km based on what we've calculated before, but apparently it was only 8km. Aaah!!!! That means last week I actually only ran 16km!
Thank goodness we've realized that once we got back to her house so I actually did a 19km run that day. Should be enough preparation for a half. Right?
It feels weird because before doing my 10km race last year, I've actually done a 12km run. This time I'm 2km short 0.0 My sources tell me that's fine and that for a half you don't actually need to go over your training distance in your long runs. It really is just a confidence thing.
What am I up to this week? Taper aka cut down on mileage time!
![]() |
| Source |
Saturday I'll go down to Toronto to sneak into their expo. Honesty, who hosts a marathon on the same day in Toronto and Mississauga? You might as well just host a marathon in the east and west ends of Toronto on the same day -.- Oh well, I get to attend two expo. Hehehe! Then I'll go cheer on my friend who's doing a 10k race, then go home and sleep :D
Food wise. You don't really need to carbo load for a half the way you would for a full marathon. Just need to make sure I'm generally well fed the few days before. This is not a good time to eat little in the evening the night before :P I'll stick to my conservative peanut butter and banana bagel breakfast on race day :P It never fails :D
I sound calm right now, just wait till Saturday night lol!
Any taper tips? How do you keep yourself occupied the days pre-leading to an important event?

I think 19k will be just fine! My biggest taper tip is to stay confident -- trust in your training, and believe in yourself. Enjoy your taper week!
ReplyDeleteThanx :) That's reassuring.
DeleteI can't imagine how people feel before their first marathon because they've never done those extra 6 miles.
wow 19K *Faints*
ReplyDeleteLol! My parents say the same thing. The main with long distance running is not talent but dedication and persistence. If you work for it, you'll get there one day :D
DeleteI totally snuck into both expos two years ago too. They won't admit it, but I think they do them the same day on purpose. Otherwise the race one week after would be have some people doing both, and the second race would be covered with walking-wounded.
ReplyDeleteTaper advice? Hide your credit card! I get myself into trouble all the time during taper. And stick to what you know! Same food, same sleep schedule, etc.
Pssh, snuck in- it's free to the public :) Lol "walking-wounded" that would so be true.
DeleteYeah... I don't know what to do with my free time. I actually went shopping today haha! I actually needed new things though :)
Good luck on your race!!! You're going to do great :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I trained for my half, the furthest that I ran while training was 11 miles (2.1 miles shy of the actual race) and it was totally fine. The last mile is fueled by adrenaline!
The adrenaline part is true. I was so surprised about my 10km race results last year because it was faster then what I've practiced. Hopefully it'll be the same this time :D
DeletePB on toast with banana was my go-to race fuel, too! It never seemed to fail. Good luck--it sounds like you have everything in order . . . good for you!!
ReplyDeleteThanx Michelle :)
DeleteSomething about bread, pb, and banana being together just makes it perfect. You've got some fat, a bit of protein, and quality carbs. :)
I have been running for over 20 years but guess what, I think I've only done 2 races. I was talked into doing them with friends but they're not for me. Too much time and money. I'd rather just run first thing in the morning and then go about my day. I sound like a total mom right? :)
ReplyDeleteThe carbo loading thing is so funny. I have lots of friends that do these little races and totally carbo load and do the whole gel shots, etc. I want to say, "Ummm, you're running less than an hour, I don't think that's necessary", but to each their own.
Good luck with your race :)
Thanx Marie :)
DeleteI know! I find it crazy when people spend so much money on gatorada and gel shots for short races. Like I know you need them for a marathon but no for a 5 or 10k. From what I've read you don't need to carbo load for a half, so I won't and when it does come to fueling during the run I just grab some raisins.
I get what you mean about not racing. It is really expensive!!! I'll probably stick to doing about 2 races per year but honestly you can hold your own race :)
I get soooo nervous racing! Which is why I haven't done more of it! So I spend the whole week trying not to be nervous, but actually being crazy nervous instead. Haha. You'll be great! 19kms is more then far enough.
ReplyDeleteRacing is nerve wracking indeed! I'm glad my race is in the early morning.
DeleteGood to know 19km is good enough :)
Hoo this is exciting stuff! Ya, you'll be fine with 19KM! The adrenaline will see you through. :)
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I never really have a proper with tapering like a know other runners can do. I'm usually pretty happy to kick back and chill by that stage and revel in the free time I suddenly have!
Thanx Jules :) Adrenaline is a powerful thing indeed!
DeleteI just finished with university stuff literally few days back so the taper is right when I have a lot of free time. Feels weird to just be chilling around :P