Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Jicama- the easiest root vegetable to prepare

This winter while in Cancun, Mexico I came across a tasty root vegetable- Jicama. It takes kind of like an Asian pear except less sweet. If you've never had an Asian pear, it's basically a fruit that is highly juicy with a bit of crunch ;)
Source
Well, guess what I found at the Asian grocery store? You got it, Jicama! It's dirt cheap too! So I bought this 2 pound beast thinking, gee what do I do now? I was scared that it would hard to clean and that I wouldn't know how to cook it. Boy was I wrong!

Jicama is so easy to clean! Although it looks tough, it is very easy to cut. It's kind of like cutting a massive apple. That easy! Peeling it is very easy too, the skin just comes off. The other beautiful thing about it is that you can eat it raw and it's tasty!

There are a bunch of way to enjoy Jicama. You can grate it and add to a salad, you can bake it, or in my case make jicama "fries".

Literally, all I've done was cut the Jicama in fry shaped strips and season. For my seasoning I added a bit of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika. Easy peasy!


Now the sneaky bonus :P These fries are great for those watching their weight because they are high in water and low in calories. This snack is too good to be true ;)

PS: Totally ate half of that Jicama in one day :P


Which vegetable do you find to be the easiest to cook?

27 comments:

  1. Never tried it before -- interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooohh. I have an asian supermarket right up the street from me. Super Easy + Dirt Cheap are an excellent combination in my book :) I cannot believe I have never heard of this; I know of plenty of obscure vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, don't worry I never knew about it until I went to Mexico :) One more great thing to add to easy and cheap is that like most root veggies it can be stored for a long time. I had mine sitting around for over a week and it was in the same condition as when I bought it!

      Delete
  3. That looks really interesting!! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try :) You'd probably have to look in an ethnic foods section or something

      Delete
  4. Jicama is awesome! It has a TON of fiber, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's like water with fiber in it and a hint of sweetness. Such a cool vegetable

      Delete
  5. I love jicama, but I've only had it raw. It's awesome in salads or sliced into "chips" to dip in salsa. I'll have to try roasting them next--I love all veggies roasted so I bet I'd like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how that goes :) I'd be scared that roasting would make the jicama lose a lot of its moisture :( But maybe not if it's done right ^^

      Delete
  6. I had my first taste of jicama in Mexico, too! There was a vendor on the street selling fruit salad and the jicama was sliced right into it. Topped with lime juice, chili pepper, and salt! mhmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, thats a new thing--Jicama. I'm sure it will not be available here :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried Jicama and didn't like it too much... I wish I did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jicama! You're right, it is cheap, and versatile. Your pics make me want to run out and get some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE jicama! I just cut it into sticks, sprinkle it with lime juice, ACV and chili powder--perfection! And even more perfection when the leftovers get to soak in the juice in the fridge for an extra day or two. If my jicama lasts that long. Which it usually doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I really liked my jicama fries on the next day. It was like they dried up a bit and got more fry like :D

      Delete
  11. I realy love kale just discovered it a couple months ago...my nails never grew until I ate Kale..never tried Jicama...on my to do list thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try :) Kale is da bomb! I actually first tried it about 6 months ago.

      You nails never grew??? What do you mean 0.0

      Delete
  12. Jicama is great! I've had it at Mexican restaurants with lime and chili powder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it :) Dang, got to add lime to mine next time :D

      Delete
  13. Hmm, never heard of this before? Though I love Asian pears! :)
    I have recently started cooking with butternut squash, something which I've never used personally in the past. Really quick and tasty when cooked in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having different favors for men and women can be a good way to go
    if you can't decide on something that is universal for both sexes.
    The advantage of an experienced photographer is that they are proven.
    The obvious truth is that economics affect the financial decisions you make regarding your wedding.


    Also visit my homepage :: wedding photographer maine ()

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are not at their best due to lack of agility
    and diet. Now, obviously, these are special ladies who put in a lot of extra effort to accomplish some
    specific goals, but it does make a point. Using the correct inhaling
    and exhaling technique, it can help you to relieve your
    stress as well as fuel a person up.

    Here is my web-site ... agility ladder exercises drills (http://lazyman.net/guestbook/3093732)

    ReplyDelete