![]() |
| Source: http://gymflow100.com/post-run-yoga-routine-that-targets-sorest-and-tightest-spots-video/ |
Tuesday - Strength Drills
Wednesday -Form Drills +Running 25 min
Thursday- Bikram Yoga
Friday- Pass out after a long day at the lab
Saturday- Bikram Yoga
Sunday-
As you can tell, there's been invasion in my training schedule so I wanted to do some research and see whether there're any benefits of Bikram Yoga on running.
Here are some of the Pro's and Con's I've found out about:
| Source: http://bikramyoganaples.com/ |
- Increased Muscle Pliability (muscles become more elastic allowing for a larger range of muscle) contraction and hence better performance.
- Reduced risk of injuries
- Reversing injuries (Bikram himself started doing yoga to heal his knees)
- Faster recovery
- Proper body alignment and posture
- Controlled breathing and better lung capacity
- More toned and strengthened muscles, working smaller muscles
- Good break from the regular running routine
- Provides a mental challenge and develops discipline
Con's
- Due to the heat one can stretch further. However, this makes it easier to overstretch and cause injury
I tried to have as little bias as possible but it really does seem like the pro's outweight the con's. My main takeaway message is that Bikram Yoga is a great cross-training tool for running but don't overstretch. Yes, at the moment my legs are sore but that's probably just because I'm a beginner and it should get easier later on. I will continue on with Bikram Yoga until the end of the month and just go by how it feels. At the moment my goal is to do it about 3 times per week. I'll just see how things go :)

I have loved adding yoga to my workout routine! I go to a hatha yoga class every Saturday, and incorporate a few minutes of it on my own almost every day. It seems to compliment all the other things I do quite nicely--keeping me flexible and centered. I wish there was a bikram yoga studio near me, but there isn't. I've heard great things about it, and would love to give it a try!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that yoga has been working out for you. The problem with Bikram yoga is that due to the heat it's much easier to overstretch :( Apart from that it's seems to be amazing ^^
DeleteI've never tried bikram! Interesting!
ReplyDeleteNever to late to try ;)
DeleteYoga is a great complement for running, but based on your goals you may not want to replace a run with yoga. If you're running for exercise and overall fitness - go for it! Bikram is awesome for fitness and will certainly make you well rounded. If you're training for a race, though, yoga doesn't replace a run day. For me, I try to do yoga on a recovery day or add it to a day with a short workout. :) I haven't been able to fit it into my schedule recently and I miss it!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the advice :D That's probably what I'll end up doing... do yoga on my recovery/ rest day.
DeleteMay need to take up something like this to work on my knee while marathon training - is bikram the only kind with that benefit?
ReplyDeleteI'm sure other types of yoga will benefit the knee as well. The cool thing about Bikram is the heat but the poses are something you'd expect in a regular yoga class. :)
DeleteFor more info check out #27 of this page:
http://www.bikramyoga.com/BikramYoga/FAQ.php#5
I find this very interesting because I like things that simply make sense. Thanks for the info.
DeleteYoga is AHHHH-MAZING for you. I used to do Ashtanga with a friend who was a teacher, but only taught beginning classes so I got together with him so he'd have someone to practice advanced stuff with. Since he moved I don't practice as often (I could do it for free with my friend but now my money is more for dance classes) but as a dancer and occasional contortionist I still stretch a bunch. I'm glad you are getting into it!
ReplyDeleteSo far I'm loving hot yoga! It feel amazing when you're done. You just feel so fresh :) I wonder if I'll notice any change in my flexibility after a month of yoga ^^
DeleteIt took a couple of weeks, but I did eventually stop being sore after ever class (I wasn't slacking, either! ;))
ReplyDeleteOh no :( I hope that doesn't happen :S I'll just see how things go ^^
DeleteThank you for finding my blog! Yours is great too!! I love doing yoga, and like you said I think there are a lot of benefits of it for helping your running. My guess is you will definitely see a difference in your balance and flexibility after one month. I have noticed a difference at just one time a week.
ReplyDeleteThanx for stopping by :) I'm excited to see improvements in flexibility- I already have noticed a difference in posture which is amazing :D
DeleteHave you tried running and yoga in one day? If not, I think you should try it. You’ll feel more revitalized after doing these two activities. You don’t have to do it every day. Just make it once a week. Let me know if you tried it. :) Thanks! ->Chick Boardman
ReplyDeleteI've done it a few times now and it did fell good. However, I'd do running in the morning and then yoga at night. Once it warms up I'm hoping to bike to my yoga classes or run one way (it's about 8km one way). Maybe one day I'll run both ways ;)
DeleteThanx for the tip and thanx for stopping by my blog :D
I love Bikram yoga and also do this daily with my uncle for my body balance. It’s really very effective for my muscles.
ReplyDelete