Well that's the problem, I've stopped doing synchro and switched over to running last year. My legs stayed in amazing shape, however the rest of my body lost muscle tone in a blink of an eye. Here's the deal, doing swimming I never really worried about strength training or doing much "land" exercise. Now with running, all I end up doing is cardio and that's about it.
I have become a scary word... Skinny Fat :S <hide under the desk>
To be honest, I have no clue how much I weigh at the moment and to a certain extend don't care. I've always been on the lighter side of the BMI scale and my measurements are fine. Last time I've been to the doctor he said my BMI was 21 (that's actually pretty high for me but this was a post Europe measurement...) and my waistline is good 7 inches away from the "unhealty cut-off" for my height (my hips make up for it) :P So I'm not big at all for someone of my height, people who have never seen me without my clothing on even say I'm skinny.
That aside, I've gotten soft :( My belly has gotten rounder, love handles have formed and my family has been making comments about it... -.-
Out of curiosity, I used one of those online percentage body fat calculators and got back an unpleasant number of about 25-27% depending on the calculator. Apparently I have a very small frame for my height as I have a 5 inch wrists/ 12 inch neck. I don't know if I'm actually small boned but the percentage body fat is probably accurate :( I know it's not "high" but it's definitely not in the "fit" category.
Oh **** the numbers, the point is I need to turn some fat into muscle ^^
I'd love to go back to swimming but my overprotective grandmother doesn't allow me to visit my condominium's pool as we have no lifeguard. To be honest, I myself don't feel comfortable swimming alone despite being able to stand at the deepest part of the pool! As for the university pool, it's open about 3 hours a day for public swim and I don't have a set schedule at the lab. That makes it difficult for me to visit the pool regularly.
Plan of action?
- Keep my 1 hour commute walks + Running once training starts
- Hot Yoga 2-3 times a week-Yoga works out quite a few muscles groups so it'll be a plus
- Planks! I've already started on this over the Christmas Break and will do a full post on it. These are not only great for the core but can be turned into a full body workout :D
- Replace simple carbs with more complex ones
- I often fall for the convenience trap of bagels and granola bars. They're great for emergencies but they shouldn't be a lunch replacement. For snacks I carry a little container with nuts and dried fruits to carry me over until I get home.
- Apart from that, my diet is pretty clean the way it is and I don't overeat or anything (Christmas time is different)...
- Research and figure out exercises that would work for me- homework for next week's Tone it Up Post ;)

Integrating strength training has been key for me. And I mean some GOOD strength training. No wimpy weights. I actually really like it and love seeing the results! Yay for planks, too! :)
ReplyDeleteThanx for the tips :) I only have 7-10 lbs dumbbells at home so those are probably wimpy weights :P They'll probably be good for smaller muscle groups though ^^ I'll check out what machines there are at my apartment's gym. They're kind of crusty but I remember seeing some that might be nice for chest & shoulders.
DeleteLet's plank together!!
ReplyDelete:)
You look great girl, don't you worry!
I was definitely skinny fat a few years ago. I don't know what the percentage of body fat was, but I'm probably only 5 pounds less than what I used to be, but my whole body shape has changed - weights make a big difference! I just youtube different weight training stuff(since I'm lost in it all..)
Haha! Yes planks for life <3
DeleteWeights to make a big difference. I remember whenever my synchro season would start my housemates would be like did you lose weight? The funny thing is I would actually gain a bit each time ^^ Plus fit is smexy!
I have to say I hate swimming because I always end up with a starving stomach. Something about being in the water just makes me completely famished! I love doing it for fun, just not a workout.
ReplyDeleteSwimming makes me very hungry too :P It burns a lot of calories maybe that's why?
DeleteDoing lengths when swimming isn't too fun :( Synchro is a different story ^^
Hi Marie!
DeleteThis happened to me, too! I heard it might be the cold water, so I always take a crazy hot shower afterwards, which usually helps (though it might all be in my mind!)
Interesting... I just remember being nauseous after synchro from being "upside down" and then going back to normal often...
DeleteI'm a fan of just finding something you enjoy doing and moving! And weights! Those two together will do wonders for most people. :)
ReplyDeleteYup :) I think weights has been the factor missing for me!
DeleteToning up is tough! I burn off thousands of calories a week, and I am still not cut like I would like. It is all about diet at this point, but I have a hard time eating perfectly. Just something we will have to work on overall.
ReplyDeleteEating healthy is tough oftentimes :( Especially when the rest of your family doesn't :S I know some people do What I Ate Wednesday posts, you could give it a try to keep yourself accountable of what you eat ;)
Deletestrength and diet have helped me with the dreaded skinny fat. more protein and carbs in the form of fruits and veggies. i just started jackie warner's dvd that targets upper body, lower body and core each in 20 minute workouts. all i can say is holy soreness! but in the good way ;) oh, also trail running with hills if you have access :)
ReplyDeleteStrength and diet seems to be the consensus. I've heard of a lot of people doing dvd workouts. Too bad my mom loves sleeping on the couch in front of the TV! I guess I could play them on my laptop...
DeleteErr, I always thought mid-20s was healthy body fat %? But that aside, it's all about how you feel. Yoga sounds like a great solution--adds in some good flexibility and relaxation as some a-okay side effects!
ReplyDeleteI'm not 100% sure, the way it was phrased was that 25-30% is "acceptable" and 20-25% is "fit", below that is "athlete".
DeleteIt also has to do with age though cuz you gain more fat as you get older, so considering that I'm 21 I should technically be towards to lower end.
omg - planks. I. HATE. PLANKS. But they're so good for you...longest minute EVER!
ReplyDeleteHaha! It gets much easier the more you practice ;) I used to do 1 minute but now I do a 5 min workout (with a gazillion breaks).
DeleteI am disciplined to run but not anything else so I feel your pain. I love to swim but just getting myself to a pool regularly proves to be a problem!! I definitely need more strength training in my life. Planks should do the trick! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's the thing with running, as long as the weather is decent you can do it anytime. Pool requires you to get it to it first and at a specific hour :(
DeleteI love planks- they don't take a lot of time and they burn :)
I agree with Running Ginger. Its a lot about diet.
ReplyDeleteI wish Icould swim but I see no chance in the near future.
I like ur plans....I would love to do yoga with u :)
You can still do yoga and I'll be with you in spirit ;)
Delete