Friday, January 25, 2013

Match made in heaven

The recipe book that I found last year was actually a traditional Russian Cookbook. I thought why not try out some recipes over the Christmas break, I`m sure my grandma would be jumping form glee. One cool recipe that stuck with me was carp with buckwheat and mushroom stuffing. Yummm! Not having any carp on me I decided to just make the stuffing. Boy, buckwheat and mushrooms are a match made in heaven!

The recipe is so simple yet so delicious and slightly sweet. Consume it cold as the flavour intensifies and that`s amazing because it means TASTY LEFTOVERS! Enjoy :D

Buckwheat and Mushroom Pilaf
(Serves 3 full meals or 6 side dishes)

Ingredients

  •  1.5 cups of dry buckwheat groats (roasted)
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 large onion
  • 1lbs of plain white mushrooms
  • salt& pepper
  • oil for frying
Directions
  1. Clean the mushrooms and cut into bite size pieces
  2. Peel the carrot and chop into about 1cmx1cm pieces
  3. Chop up the onion finely
  4. Rinse the buckwheat groats in water to get rid of any debris
  5. Fry the onion and carrots together
  6. Add in the mushrooms once onions become translucent
  7. Keep frying until the mushrooms start releasing their juices
  8. Add in the dry buckwheat groats to the pan
  9. Add the water after about 3 minutes of `frying` the buckwheat groats
  10. I add about 2tsp of salt at this point
  11. Cook till the water evaporates (about 20 min)
  12. Check for seasoning
  13. Let it cool! Then eat once it`s cool!
You know what`s great about this pilaf? It can be easily turned into "egglets" or what I call individual fritattas. Just take the leftover buckwheat and mushroom pilaf, add in eggs and cheese, then bake! Woaa... so you get dinner, lunch for next day, and breakfast for the day after? Crazy!?

Are there any particular food combinations that you really like? 


12 comments:

  1. Oh so many. I love yams with cheddar cheese. Bleu cheese & walnuts. Yogurt & granola. Nothing too crazy. My favorite food is Mexican which I am making tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yams and cheddar 0.0 that sounds strange but good :P Have to give that one a try :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, those little "egglets" are just the cutest little things!!!

    I'm sorry to hear about the McMaster letter :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... life goes on :( Those egglets are super cute- really tasty too!

      Delete
  4. This reminds me of a risotto from the picture, but using a different grain of course. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was as creamy as a risotto :P I'd say it's more like fried rice except so much healthier and tastier :P

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I may try this using bulgur, since I've got a bag of it. I love the idea of turning leftovers into little frittattas.
    I love eggs in/with/on-top-of almost anything.
    A combo I am into is a bowl of spicy salsa topped with cottage cheese I've mixed with some cinnamon and a tiny bit of equal or stevia. I eat this with a spoon, starting with the cottage cheese, then mixing part of it into the salsa below...sometimes I'll dip some corn chips into it. Sounds odd but it has been craving I've had a lot recently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cottage cheese and salsa 0.0 Very interesting indeed! That would make an excellent "strange but good" post that Laura from Sprint to the Table hosts ^^

      Delete
  6. Oh delish!!!! Love the little frittatas that you can make the next day too. Very helpful!
    Sorry about your letter. A better opportunity will come across your path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx :) I actually got another opportunity that same day, but as life changing though. I'll write about it next week :)

      Delete
  7. I missed your post yesterday, Im sooo sorry hon.
    The recipe is great,will be trying and giving you a feed nack.
    xo
    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try :) Buckwheat is amazing for weight loss! In Ukraine there is actually a thing cold the Buckwheat Diet. You pretty much eat unlimited amount of buckwheat and lose weight. Apparently my grandparents have done it before and lost a lot of weight.

      Delete