Friday, January 11, 2013

Christmas x2

As you might have heard Monday was Orthodox Christmas. It's very much the same idea as regular Christmas but there are some discrepancies with the calendar so we celebrate it 2 weeks later. What I love about Orthodox Christmas is Kutia (Kutya), basically a wheat and poppy seed pudding. It is one of those special dishes that you make once a year because it takes ridiculously long to prepare. Nevertheless, I look forward to this homemade goodness every year and because you always make it in massive batches I had it for breakfast for 3 days after Christmas. It's one of those foods that is amazing for leftovers and actually tastes better the next day ;)
What it would look like if done very traditionally...
The main ingredients in this dish are wheatberries, ground poppy seeds, walnuts, honey, water, and raisins (optional). It is made in massive quantities so this is probably for about 20 servings.

First off soak about 2lbs (5 cups) of wheatberries in water overnight. These little guys take forever to cook otherwise! The next day rinse the wheatberries and simmer for about 2 hours. The amount of water you use isn't too important because you will end up adding some in the end but it's generally a 1:3 wheatberry to water ratio. When done, the wheatberries should not have popped yet and should be quite chewy.

While the wheatberries are cooking soak 2 cups of raisins in hot water to plump them up. Also toast about 3 cups of walnuts and break them up into small pieces.

Save yourself the trouble and buy 1lbs of ground poppy seeds. You can get regular once and just grind them with a pestle and mortar but that's a pain to do.

Once the wheatberries are done cooking drain excess water and then mix all of the ingredients together including honey to taste. In this state, the kutia can be store in the fridge for several days.

When ready to serve add as much hot water as you would like and eat :)

This makes a very heart, nutritious, and chewy meal ^^
Looks nothing like the traditional thing and I barely added water but You know you want to try it ;)

12 comments:

  1. Very interesting! A wheat and poppyseed pudding . . . I bet it's delicious . . . it sounds so intriguing, but quite the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup :) I look forward to this dish every single year. It's my absolute favorite <3

      Delete
  2. Sounds absolutely delicious, I'd love to try some one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try ;) Make sure to get ground poppy seeds though ^^

      Delete
  3. That looks so interesting! I've never heard of something like that before. You try the nicest things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanx! The beauty of living at home :D Well actually I rarely eat whatever my grandma cooks because it's always pork more pork and more pork... but this dish is nice :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds great, but I can almost guarantee that my lazy buns will never attempt this because I would sooooo mess it up! I do love leftovers though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a difficult dish to mess up unless you have bad poppy seeds ;) I really do love how I didn't have to make breakfast this week and just ate kutia! Oatmeal doesn't keep that well in the fridge :(

      Delete
  5. Interesting recipe, I'm sure I'd be grinding those poppyseeds in my blender, though, not with the mortar and pestle. The linen on the table is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah, in modern days you would use a blender. I just remembered my grandma using mortar and pestle when I was little! It definitely is a better idea to use a blender :)

      Delete
  6. OOOhhh chewy goodness. I love that I learn about foods I normally never would from you! I am a fan of wheatberries, but never seen them used like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you learned something new foodie related :) It is very chewy! I felt bad because we had some of my grandma's friends over and they had prosthetic teeth :S So they couldn't chew it!

      Delete