On Friday I was on another TEDx talk roll and came upon Dr. Christina Warinner's speech. She's an archaeologist and talked about how we can't technically truly eat paleo. I'd highly suggest watching the 9:50-14:00 minutes of her speech, the rest is not very interesting.
Basically what she says is that caveman ate local food, whatever was in season, and it different on where the caveman lived. The thing is, what most people present as paleo food nowadays would not have been something that caveman have eaten.
![]() |
| Source |
At the same time, tomatoes never existed in the caveman period and were actually filled with toxins. Through agriculture we were able to genetically modify them to favor the genetic pool of the non-toxic tomatoes. Same idea with bananas, in the caveman period bananas used to be barely edible because they contained massive seeds. Humans have genetically modified bananas over thousands of years to be devoid of seeds.
Dr. Warinner talks about a bunch of examples like this including broccoli, carrots, and so on. The truth is that everything we eat right now is GMO. That means that through agriculture we have picked out the seeds of which crop we want to plant and thus propagate its genetic information. Over time, humans have selected for our food to contain specific genes that make the food more edible to us. We have evolved our food and we have evolved alongside with it.
![]() |
| So would you say that carrots aren't paleo? They are a product of agriculture... |
Now the other thing is that caveman were actually found to consume some grains and legumes. Recently papers in PNAS and Science (big reputable science journals) have shown remains of grains in the teeth of caveman. Yup! Honestly, caveman didn't have much choice of what to eat so they probably ate everything they could get their hands on.
What I really can't understand about the paleo diet is why people seem to think that caveman were healthy... I mean their life expectancy was like what, 18 years? Were they actually able to get all their nutrients and calories with the way that they ate? You can say that they didn't have cancer as frequently but lets be honest, most people get cancer after their 40s. Caveman never lived long enough to develop them in the first place.
I also don't get why agriculture is blamed for out expending waistlines. People have started ballooning in the last little while, not 10, 000 years ago. Look back at pictures 100 years, no like 30 years ago, people were skinny. People have gotten fat because of processed food not necessarily because of legumes and grains.
![]() |
| Soure. Obesity is a recent epidemic, not one that began when we started eating grains. |
Now grains and legumes. You can read this article if you're interested and it gives a heck a lot of information about why grains are super healthy. I mean, why else would we continue to cultivate grains for thousands of years. We started eating junk food maybe 30 years ago and we've already noticed the decline in our health. If grains were truly unhealthy, why would we continue eating them... Grains and legumes are filled with nutrients, vitamins, fiber, and some protein. If you ever study metabolism, you will notice that it revolves around carbs. Our bodies were designed to process carbs, they're the easiest to digest and the easiest to metabolize.
![]() |
| Chart showing percentage of obese people. Wow American has twice as much obese people as Canada, interesting. Anyways, take a look at where the Carb/ Pasta consuming Italy is at... |
All in all, I think that the paleo diet is very healthy and if properly done it's not even supposed to be high in meat. The thing is that EVERY SINGLE DIET THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE PROCESSED FOOD IS HEALTHY, period. You can eat vegetarian or vegan but your diet can still be filled with junk, but not the case with paleo. I think that some cultures have evolved to process grains or dairy better then other. Lol, I found straight up gluten in an Asian supermarket and you know what it's delicious! There's really no one "true" diet except one low on processed food.




Very interesting read, thanks for sharing! Personally I don't put much stock into diets. I don't understand why people need to follow a diet to lose weight. Just eat healthy, non processed foods, and expend more energy than you take in. Seems simple to me? Then again, maybe diets work for some because some people have trouble controlling themselves and need the structure? Personally, I'd rather have choices. I love beans and carbs, and I totally agree that they are not unhealthy if you eat them in the right way. I really do believe that you can eat healthy without feeling like you are on a diet. It's all about making informed choices.
ReplyDeleteFor sure. The yellow in the Ukranian flag represents our wheat fields. My culture has been eating a wide variety of grains for millenniums and has thrived. Then again, the bread we eat is literally black in colour because it's rye and very whole wheat. Not that white enriched wondercrap bread. Now people are starting to get sick because of fast food...
DeleteNothing wrong with grains... unless your gluten intolerant. Yet then again lots of people have allergies to nuts so what now nuts aren't healthy?
Thank you! I love legumes and I hate weird fashion diets. So I roll my eyes anytime I hear anything about the paleo diet. Yuck!
ReplyDeleteLegumes are awesome! They're little nutrient power bombs :P Honestly, if grains and legumes were so unhealthy than evolutionary the people who ate them all the time would've diet out... but it's been in our diet for thousands of years so it must be doing something good.
DeleteGood read Nadiya dear.
ReplyDeleteI love my carbs (legumes and what not) I could never do paleo and the types.
Everyone wants to get slim these days-- I know paleo would take me there faster but I want it to be A Lifetstyle change.
Then again I know a few people who have made paleo their way of life.
Lol I love legumes too :P and my buckwheat too much to go paleo. In theory, any diet that is non-processed should help you slim down. I can see paleo working better for those with PCOS or people with gluten sensitivities or maybe diabetics... Again each to their own.
DeleteReally interesting post. Spot on too, I always thought it odd that a diet was marketed (and successfully) as being what the "cave men" ate. That said if you're cutting out processed food/ junk and you feel better all on the modern "paleo" diet best wishes too you!
ReplyDeleteThat obesity chart was really interesting!
You know what cracks me up? Things like paleo bread or paleo muffins which are made with almond meal. Like I get, they're probably tasty and all but they're not paleo. I don't recal caveman grinding almonds and baking things with them :P It's really just a marketing strategy :(
DeleteI find it crazy to compare the obesity rates in different countries! America and Mexico are for sure leading the way though lol.
I think we've talked before about how it seems that different bodies need different things...and I am always happy to hear more reasons why! Great post, m'dear!:)
ReplyDeleteYup each to their own. What I found really interesting about the TEDx talk was how everything that we eat right now is a product of agriculture. You really can't truly "paleo" because all of those vegetable and fruits have evolved or no longer exist :)
DeleteI can't say enough how much I like this post! Not only do paleo-converts preach about how excellent their diet is, but their portions are so crazy that it makes me sick. They're crazy about bacon! Did the caveman cure bacon??
ReplyDeleteGreat context and post as always Nadiya! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines of the Mississauga Half-Marathon. I'll probably be at the Square One Running Room by the start line before the race if you wanna meet up in real life.
Lol! Bacon! I don't think pigs existed back in the caveman times, they were more like boars... I doubt you'd kill those very often and they were as fatty.
DeleteSame idea with eggs. The lady in the TEDx talk talked about how eggs used to be tiny and caveman didn't exactly keep chickens as pets. I doubt chickens even existed as we know them today 10,000 years back.
Thanx Paul :) I might swing by the Running Room especially since I'll start going to their free runs after the race. It'd be nice to meet the people there :)
Love this! I agree with a lot of what you said. Avoiding certain grains because of digestive issues is one thing...avoiding them because "cave men" didn't eat them is absurd. Yes, a lot of wheat has made us fat...but because of HOW we eat it and in what QUANTITIES, not because of its inherent nature.
ReplyDeleteExactly. Americans consume a lot of PROCESSED wheat and corn. But like, you won't get fat if you eat corn in its natural form. It's about 100 calories per cornknob and really how many of those would you eat at once?
DeleteCaveman didn't eat wheat because they haven't discovered it yet not because it wasn't healthy...
This is SO interesting! Thanks for sharing all this information--I can't wait to read deeper into this, and watch the video you mentioned. I'm at work, but will definitely be coming back to this post later. :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you found it useful :) I'd suggest watching the 10-14 minute part of the video. It's really quite amazing how the things we eat have evolved.
DeletePshh... get back to work :P
I agree with this so much!!! Eating healthy doesn't mean depriving yourself of a type of food. It means eating as naturally as possible and making sure you're "eating off the food pyramid" ;-)
ReplyDeleteFor sure :) There're tonnes of vitamins and nutrients in grains that we need so it really makes no sense to avoid them. I get it when people have Celiac Disease but that's really in less then 1% of the population.
Delete