Thursday, April 4, 2013

If you had $3 to spend a day on food...

If you had $3 to spend a day on food... what would you eat?

Well I saw the link to a new movie called "A Place at the Table" and apparently there're a lot of Americans who can only afford to spend $3 a day on food. Think about it, that's just 21$ a week. Reading a lot of healthy living blogs, you realize just how much some people spend on food. Think about it, can you even buy a can of protein powder for 21$? What about all of those organic veggies? Crazy ha? I see the grocery bills of those people who shop at Whole Foods, they're ridiculously high. Plus I've heard that the American Whole Foods is more expensive then the Canadian one.



This topic is quite personal for me because once upon a time I actually did spend 20$ a week on groceries. I'm not sure how did I develop this fear of spending money. I guess it was all the study loans I had and always worrying that I will need to pay those back. Thank goodness I've realized that food is not something to be cheap about. You really can't provide proper nourishment for your body at 3$ a day. Who cares if I'll be another $1000 per year in debt, it's better then ruining my health.

 
Just to give you an idea of what I'd eat in a typical day, I'd be something like:
Breakfast- 1 cup dry oatmeal + some milk+ very brown banana from the discount produce section ($0.6)
Lunch- bagel from reduced price section+ peanut butter+ apple from discount produce section ($0.6)
Dinner- plain cheap white pasta+ cheap tomato sauce+ cheap 1/2 can of tuna or beans or 2 eggs ($1.2)
Snacks- whatever I could scavenge at school clubs, 1/4 of a cucumber, a chunk of cabbage aka the cheapest vegetable ever, cookies/ treats my housemates would share with the house, more peanut butter. (leftover money)
Water- free!

As you can tell this was probably only 1700 calories, so I shed weight like crazy :( I barely ate any vegetables, most of my food was from the reduced or not fresh aisle, and there's little protein. When I came back home for Thanksgiving, my parents were in shock by the way I looked. After that, they started bringing "care packages" every so often and left me money :D Thank goodness I'm over this phase!

Going to the grocery store was a challenge, a major one. What can you buy at Whole Foods for $3? Like 3 organic apples? Well the grocery store beside the university was a bit pricy but I would make good use of sales and coupons. I remember one day oatmeal being $2 per kg, so I bought a few packs. Other days I'd find bagels being $1 for a pack of 6 so I'd buy a few packages and freeze some for later. Pretty much all my vegetables or fruits weren't fresh but those were the only ones I could afford.

Yeah, I was hungry. My thoughts did revolve around food. It's not even so much about the calories, as if you feel like shit when all you eat are carbs. Whenever there would be some sort of an event with food left over after people left, I would hoard the food and take it home. When I went to events myself, I would pile my plate with fruits and vegetables because I knew I was lacking my vitamins. I really feel poorly for anyone who lives like this.

It's really hard to spend so little money and get proper food as you can see. I really can't imagine how people go their whole lives living like that :( Now I knew a thing or two about nutrition before living on my own, but what about people that don't? Well they just end up buying things like chips and other junk that has even less nutrients.
 

However, not everyone gets student loans like me. I can say whatever, I'll just be another $1000 in debt but eat proper food.

What if someone else has nowhere to get those $1000…

12 comments:

  1. I definitely spend the most money on food of all my family's expenses, but am frugal with most everything else. Organic, locally grown food is one of the most important things to me, and I always feel grateful to have the means and knowledge, to be able to provide my family with these healthy, nutritious foods. It's so frustrating to know that so many people can't afford to buy high quality foods and their health pays the price. I just read that soon the milk industry may be able to use artificial sweeteners in milk! How gross is that?! I think a $3-5/day challenge is a good one! In fact, I think I'll try it for myself. I'm a big soup/stew person and find that it's the easiest way to stretch my dollars, and the most satisfying. We have a local CSA where we can pick our own produce and I've come away with 2 huge bags of organic veggies for under $7, maybe I'll start there! You write great posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!!! My dad bought chocolate milk with artificial sweetener and it is gross!!! Tastes nothing like chocolate -.-

      Living off of 5$ is totally doable because there're many foods that are healthy and cheap like oatmeal, eggs, beans, carrots, beats, bananas, brown rice, other grains... Getting fruits and veggies are a toughy :(

      You can try it as a challenge if you want. Let us know how it goes :)

      Delete
  2. You may be spending more on food now, but you would be spending more on medical bills later from a lifetime of being malnourished if you spent less! Food is medicine:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! Also food is tasty but surgeries/ drug side effects are painful!

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with Ellen!! Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food. :)

      Delete
    3. Funny how that's one of the few scientific facts that still holds true for over 2000 years now. Hippocrates also said to eat mostly plants, interesting how that plays in from the paleo perspective

      Delete
  3. I have to say it drives me crazy when people say that eating healthy is so expensive and then proceed to talk about Whole Foods like it's the only place you can get healthy food. I think I eat healthy and I never shop at WF, can't afford it. I shop at Costco and Walmart and Henry's (like WF but they always have tons of produde on sale, I never shop their dry goods or meat).

    I buy and grind my own grains, soak my own lentils and beans, make my own bread and stop off at Big Lots for their dollar sourdough (soon to be outdated bakery items).

    You can make a huge pot of soup for a family for a few bucks, but granted I know we all wouldn't want to eat soup for lunch and dinner the rest of our lives.

    Having said all this, guess what?, I spend a ton on groceries. I cut out in other areas because I LOVE food and love to eat good food. Strong cheese, organice milk and meat, tons of fruit.

    I guess in the end I agree with Ellen, my kids are never sick, they are all healthy as can be and I do attribute this to good eating. I really do believe you are what you eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I go to Whole Foods like an excursion to try samples and buy something as a treat. But like cmon you don't need to eat sprouted bread to be healthy or buy raw brownies and all that stuff. I know some people have allergies or are more sensitive so I understand that. However, for a normal human being a diet high in fruits, veggies and no processed stuff is enough to lead a healthy life. All the other "health foods" stuff is just so... extra... and unnecessary.

      On the other hand living off of $3 a day is horrible. Even if you shop at Walmart, you really can't buy much fresh produce on that budget :(

      When I said that I lived off of $3 a day, it really was just a phase that probably lasted 3 months. However, I felt it... My hair became dull and brittle, my skin was gross, I was breaking out. Crazy how potent food is as a drug! It truly is the biggest drug that we consume, I might do a sciency post related food and bacteria and our general health :D

      Delete
  4. If you haven't seen my recent blog post there's actually a portion of our spring break video of me making granola :) Good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh granola :P I need to check that out :D

      Delete
  5. Ugh, I totally know what you mean. I spent my undergrad cruising student events for free pizza and sneaking food from the restaurant where I waited tables. One of my friends had a hookup at a bagel place, so yeah, lots of bagels.

    I'm with you now, though! My biggest expense (besides rent) is definitely food and I'm super fine with that. Health is first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol oh the joys of undergrad!!! I wish I understood that health is first when I was younger lol

      Delete