Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Plain Damn Frugal Salad

I've had a bit of a grocery haul a few days back because I was out of veggies. Honestly, I just love the Chinese supermarkets because they have so much affordable produce. Here's what I managed to get :)


Exhibit 1- Some buns for my grandma, bean sprouts, green onions, zucchinis, a few cucumbers, and kelp.


Exhibit 2- Japanese yams, radishes, plantains, shallots, cabbage, kohlrabi, dutch brown lentils, and maize.

Total cost- $22.19 :D

 Boy was I happy to buy radishes because my grandpa made me some delish salad :D All you need are radishes, cucumbers, dill, and oil. That's all! Dirt Cheap, yet Mighty Good!

Ukrainian Radish Salad



Ingredients (Serves 2)
* 7 small radishes, cut in half and sliced thinly
* 3 small cucumbers, cut in half and sliced thinly
* fist full of dill, roughly chopped
* 2 tbsp of unrefined sunflower oil
* 1 tbsp of vinegar
* salt and pepper

Directions
*Combine
*Pairs nicely with some eggs and good hearty rye bread



Note: You can use other types of oils but unrefined sunflower oil is more "Ukrainian" like. I got the unrefined sunflower oil from an Eastern European store and it tastes nothing like the mass produced American sunflower oil. So be on the look out for that ;)

PS: I'm super excited about tomorrow's post. I'm thinking of starting something new for the month of May. It all began with the idea of "seduction". Yes, seduction. I'll leave it at that...

20 comments:

  1. Seduction, eh? But what's sexier than a salad?
    Looking forward to tomorrow's post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It'll be an interesting post that started off with me watching a TEDx talk about seduction, don't ask. The talk had a powerful message though :D

      Delete
  2. I bet this salad is super flavorful, though! I have an obsession with dill and can just eat it plain haha. And That addition of radish was a genius idea. Thanks for sharing Nadiya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not only person who eats dill on their own :P I love radishes and they're so full of nutritious goodness too :)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh man, I LOVE Asian grocery stores--so much fun produce and so cheap! And I hope you post what you do with your plantains--I've been obsessed with them lately, but I just tend to switch between frying and baking, and I'm sure there are other delicious things I could be trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOO!!!! I literally just finished whatever I've used my plantains for and didn't take a picture. It's these black eyed peas with coconut and spices along with some plantains. It's from the appetite for reduction book by Moskowitz. Really good stuff!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm now super excited about tomorrow's post too! :P
    That salad looks really fresh and healthy - shame I don't like radishes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well stay tuned for tomorrow :)

      Too bad you don't like radishes :( I grew up living off of them as a kid :D

      Delete
  5. Seriously--why are the Chinese markets so much more affordable?!? This salad looks great. Radishes are something Bob loves, and I like as well, but always forget to buy. He (and I) would love this salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! However, to be honest Chinese markets can be a bit sketchy -.- I got broccoli at this one grocery store which looked fine but went bad the next day. Like wha?

      Do try the salad :) If you like it my grandpa makes this other salad with grated radish and carrots.

      Delete
  6. I love simple salads like that! It looks/sounds so summer-y and refreshing-Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very refreshing salad :) Takes a few minutes to make too :P

      Delete
  7. Your grocery haul is so much more interesting than mine! I get in the bad habit of just buying the same ol' things...i.e. a lot of broccoli, cauliflower and snow peas. Maybe some radishes are in order;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out an ethnic foods store. They have so much cool stuff that it's inevitable to buy something interesting. Do try the radish salad ;)

      Delete
  8. Asian grocery stores are the BEST for super cheap, sometimes mysterious, produce. I'm mega jealous of those bean sprouts, which I could seriously just eat by the handful.

    Looking forward to tomorrow's post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bean sprouts are awesome!!! Uber cheap too :P I used to be devastated that my university city didn't have an Asian market :(

      Delete
  9. What great prices for all that produce!!! That's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Nothing beats an Asian grocery store

      Delete
  10. OMG!! That salad sounds amazing!! I can't wait to make it. I'm looking forward to your next post. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try the salad :) It's very tasty, refreshing, quick, and cheap.

      Delete