Monday, April 22, 2013

Putting shoes back on

Putting shoes back on... just temporary though :P

Last week greengirlrunning brought up a good point that I totally agree with. It hurts to run barefoot on the pavement even in my little slippers :(

 

Most of the training I've done before hand was on the treadmill or in the park where I ran on a dirt road half of the time. Not the case when I went running with my friend. The pavement hurt and there was absolutely nothing cushiony in my slippers to make it easier on my feet. I really don't want to run a half marathon like that because it hurts and I'd rather not get injured.

So.... I decided to put my Asics-2160 back on. Just when I run on asphalt and until I finish my race. The thing is that I need to buy a proper pair of minimalistic shoes but I'm scared to try a completely new pair of shoes so close to the race. Hence, I'll just use whatever I've always used.
No, I didn't immediately start heel striking. Not at all. I continued landing midfoot but I did feel that it was a bit harder. What was amazing was the cushion like feeling everytime I landed. I definitely miss that feeling :(

I know that if I wear these shoes for too long, my gait will reverse back to heel striking and that would defeat the purpose. Yet, I'm sure that it'll take longer then 2 weeks for things to reverse especially if I keep up with my form drills.

After the race, definitely buying a proper pair of minimalistic shoes.

Anyone else have a similar issue with barefoot running? Or am I the only crazy one to pretty much run without shoes :P

29 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're not running in the minimilistic shoes if they hurt you. Hope you find something that works better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't run in minimalistic shoes, that's the problem. Minimalistic shoes have a cushion but none of that heel drop found in regular shoes. So they're still comfy to run with on the road but you don't heel strike. What I run in right now are more like ballerina slippers which are great for trails but just don't cut it for the road :(

      Delete
  2. You should follow the blog of my friend Alan Thwaits. He runs compeletely barefoot a lot of the time. But, he trains for it doing things like stoping on gravel for 20 minutes a day: http://barefootjourney.org/

    I have run in Vibram FiveFingers and Saucony Kinvaras. They feel quite weird compared to regular shoes. But you can get used to them.
    Alan shares lots of ideas for good minimalist "shoes."

    There's nothing wrong with regular shoes. Barefoot running teaches you how to run properly, and if you can keep that form in regular shoes, it helps. In fact, over long distance when your form collapses, the protection is very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for the suggestion, I totally need to check out that website :) Hmmm, that's a good point about long runs because there's nothing worse then heel striking with absolutely no protection. Ick!

      Delete
  3. The first time I put cushioned shoes on again it felt totally weird and like I was betraying my feet, lol! But I think I've found a happy medium... cush on the pavement and minimalist on the trails. I just bought my second pair of Merrell Barefoot Pace Gloves (on sale on Amazon!) after donating an old pair, and I LOVE them!!! They offer nice protection and just fit, like, well a glove :) I think you might like them, but you're wise to wait on trying anything new until after your race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was so ashamed of putting my shoes back on :S Thanx for the suggestion and yeah I'll play around with these things after the race.

      Delete
  4. Good idea to pad your feet a little to ensure you don't get injured. I don't think you will change your form much in just a couple weeks. Just keep thinking about your form while you are running in your shoes.

    I wear the New Balance Minimus shoes as an every day shoe-- I still think just that even helps me not heel strike quite as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my slippers were good enough for the treadmill and dirt road but it doesn't cut it for long runs and the road.

      I've been doing more of my barefoot running drills to make sure I don't regress to the old ways, so I think I'll be good :)

      Is it comfortable to wear minimal shoes all day or does it ever feel like too much for the calves?

      Delete
    2. I've never had a calf issue -- it's like being barefoot all day -- I love it!

      Delete
    3. Actually the sneakers that I used to wear on the daily basis had no heel drop and my calves felt perfectly fine. Awesome I'll keep that in mind :)

      Delete
  5. If you go minimal and start mid/front striking, make sure to get a shoe with a wide enough toe box. Or maybe go up half a size. I got a pair of shoes that were too small in the toes and it gave me alot of pain and swelling. Also I'm sure you know this, but transition into the new shoes gradually to avoid injury. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for the tips, I'll definitely keep that in mind :)

      Delete
  6. Props to you for listening to your body- getting blisters or cuts would be no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is too risky to try new shoes 2 weeks before the race for that reason :P

      Delete
  7. Very interesting! I haven't run in minimalist shoes . . . I know some people love them, and some people don't. I'm not sure they'd work well for me with all the injuries I've dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it depends on what your injuries are. If it's a knee problem then I think minimalist shoes would help. If you have calf or Achilles problems then it's probably better to stay away from barefoot running.

      I used to have knee problems but not any more :) Just need to get proper minimalist shoes before I actually get hurt!

      Delete
  8. Gotta do what you got to do right!?! Makes sense that you need some cushioning on pavement. Sounds like you're doing the right thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I also think that I need to work on increasing my cadence and making each step lighter. That should help but meanwhile I'd rather just wear shoes for my long runs.

      Delete
  9. Makes a lot of sense in my opinion and you're just being sensible with respect to the race that you'll soon have to run. As long as you are conscious of how you are hitting the group, I don't think you will revert to heel striking so easily? I currently use Nike Frees with a 4mm drop. I also bought a pair of New Balance Minimus Zeros (with zero drop) that I use from time to time. Still find them tough to use so I don't train with them as often as I should. :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you don't revert to heel striking that easily. After 18k I was still landing mid food :P

      Thanx for the shoe suggestions, I will totally be looking for a pair after the race :D

      Delete
    2. I really like the Nike Free 3.0s (and the latest v5 looks a hell lot better than the v4) and have run all my marathons in them with no issues. I know that some purists don't count them as minimalist shoes though. :P

      Delete
  10. you have got some great advice here.
    As I havr no experience cant help.
    Im sure you will do well and sticking to ur old shoes for the race sounds wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely did get a lot of advice :D Yay!

      Delete
  11. I have not tried those shoes but I am not brand loyal so I may try a pair soon, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't really recommend the Asics because they do have a massive heel drop, but if you're not into barefoot running then they are a pretty good pair of shoes :) For my feet at least :P

      Delete
  12. Yup, I wear good sneakers when I walk/run on pavement, and use my more minimalistic shoes when I hit the trails. And no shoes when I'm playing around in the yard :) Yay, spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like what I'm doing right now. Hmm that's a fun Earth Day thing to do- feel the Earth with your bare feet. I doubt many people do that...

      Delete
    2. Ooo, I didn't even connect it to Earth Day! But there needs to be more completely bare feet in general--a bit of grass between the toes isn't going to hurt anyone!

      Delete
    3. I used to be obsessed with walking around barefoot when I was around 13-14. Apparently, it makes your arch higher too so that's great for people with flat feet.

      Delete