Monday, April 1, 2013

To Tri or not to Tri?


Nadiya <3 Bike
There's been something screaming at me from the closet. It said "wear me, wear me. I haven't been used in so long!" Something in the storage shed has now woken up from its winter slumber and screamed "ride me, ride me." My running "slippers" panicked in the corner and sadly looked at me while saying "please don't forget about me".


It's been a while since I've gone for a proper swim or have taken my bike (aka the horse) for a ride. I know bike, we used to be best friends. You were my loyal horsy and a trusty source of transportation. You gave me freedom to go anywhere I wanted without having to rely on that untrustworthy bus. You took me places and I rewarded you by keeping you oiled. My dear neon swimsuit, you know I've missed you. I...I...I… have just been pre-occupied with running. I'm sorry :(
 
For the last few months I've been reading Health Tipping Point and Better with Veggies where both of the amazing bloggers have been training for triathlons. It's something that I've wanted to try for the longest time but didn't know how to start. I thought it'd be uber expensive and that I'd have to travel to some crazy locations. BS! Thank goodness I actually searched for nearby triathlons. Guess what!? There are not one but two triathlons happening this summer in Toronto. SCORE! In addition, the registration fee is about 70$ which is nowhere near as much as I expected it to be!!!

What are they?
Toronto Triathlon Festival on July 21 and the Toronto Island Triathlon Weekend on August 24-25th!!!

I'm not quite sure which one I'd like to do as it will depend on my summer plans and what I'll be doing next school year :D I haven't decided on whether I want to do a sprint or an olympic distance either. Ick! It'll really depend on my summer plans and how much time I have to train.

Speaking of training... I know I can swim 2km, that's easy. Running 10km is quite easy too. Biking is what scares me as I've only done it for transportation. I've never done an actual bike race and to be franc I bike at about 15-20km/hr depending on traffic. I'm not sure why I'm so slow but I've biked 30km in one day before :D

Transitions... Well I used to bike to XC practise or to swimming. I'll have to make sure to practice that going from one sport to the other.

Swimming in open water... Mah... I grew up swimming in the Black Sea and got to swim in the Adriatic and Mediterranean Seas while in Europe. Also, I've done synchronized swimming which is an underwear, no goggle chaos.
I didn't just pose beside the Adriatic Sea, I went swimming in it too! 
Triathlon... Here I come! After my half of course :P
Any Tips?

10 comments:

  1. wow--I just love that pic...on the beach. Should have done that when I was in Miami:).

    Next time for sure :)

    have fun biking--used to ride them too, and swimming is something I wish I knew!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanx Z :D If I were to meet you I'd teach you swimming :P

      Delete
  2. Wow! Can't wait to hear which one you decide to do!! So exciting, and I think you'll have a lot of fun with both the event and the training. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Michelle :) Yeah I'll how training goes and then pick a distance :D

      Delete
  3. I have zero tips. I don't really enjoy swimming other than for fun with the kids. Same with biking, it's just a leisurely activity for us. Good luck though, I know it's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Marie :) Yeah that's why I'm scared of the biking leg as it's something I've always viewed as a leisure activity :(

      Delete
  4. I did my first triathlon (a sprint distance) last summer, and just signed up for one this year. Since you are nervous about the biking, I would make sure to get on your bike a bit so you feel more comfortable with it. You should also get a little practice transitioning between the sports. Your legs will feel funny between the bike and run. Triathlons are super fun though, so I'm sure you will have a blast! Let me know if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for the tip. I will definitely be practicing that :D I do remember that funny feeling when I used to bike to running practice. I might just bombard you with questions once I get training :P

      Delete
  5. A triathalon!!?! How exciting! Good for you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanz Susannah :) I'm uber psyched about it :D

      Delete