I checked the calendar and my half-marathon is pretty much in 14 weeks! Woah? The time just flew by. Which brings me to say that I pretty much need to start building my base mileage. For the last 2-3 months I've been very much focusing on transitioning to barefoot running and have been running about 40-60 minutes a week. Ick!
I know my barefoot running schedule is supposed to start including long runs (40 min)/ hills/ tempo runs (25 min). Instead I'm thinking of pushing that back and working more on building up my base mileage. Once I feel comfortable I'll start including long runs/ hills/ tempo/ fartlek runs. Basically, I want to get my mileage up a bit more before I start adding harder workouts.
What building a base means getting yourself to be able to run a certain number of miles/ week before you start working on things like speed or hills. So you'll run an X number of miles per week which are all relatively easy runs- no tempo, hills, or any of that jazz. Slowly you build up the number of miles a week that you're running. For example, you do 5x2.5 miles first week, then 5x3 miles, then 5x3.5 miles, and the week after 5x4 miles. It's a crucial step because it will help you establish a base level of fitness before you proceed to doing harder workouts. It's kind of like learning to walk before you run. If you do too much too fast you'll get injured. Hence, building base is a great way to start off your training.
Apart from the unplanned 7km outdoor run last week, my runs have been limited to the comfort of a long corridor between my bedroom and the kitchen. Sorry, I am too lazy to go all the way to the gym to do a 15 minute run! So instead I headed over to the treadmill ^^ To my surprise my barefoot speed was a bit better than with shoes. I would attribute that to doing drills to increase my foot turn-over rate instead of barefoot running though. I was playing around with the speed and felt 6.6 mph to be quite comfortable and could even keep up with 8 mph for several minutes (vs 1-2 minutes last year). However, since I'm just trying to get my legs back to running I stuck to the 6.6 mph range.
On Friday I did a 3 mile run and it felt good. My calves did hurt towards the end and were sore the day after (I also did hot yoga on Friday). Saturday I repeated the 3 mile run and my calves were sore towards the end. I was busy with a conference on Sunday and was dead tired when I got back. Today, my legs are feeling great so I think I'm ready! I'll take things slow and see if I can do 5x3 mile runs this week.
Now my question. I want to go a pair of minimalist shoes because I feel like I would be allowed to run barefoot or in my slippers at my university indoor track. Since I often times have long breaks between classes I want to take advantage of them! I've never seen Vibram Fingers in Canada and don't feel comfortable ordering something online without actually trying it on.
Do you guys have any suggestions for minimalist shoes other than Vibrams?

woohoooo, happy running and training!! I'm glad your legs are feeling good today!
ReplyDeleteI've been lazy around aaall day, but after reading some blogs, I'm finally motivated to get outside and run!!
Go run! Gosh it's freezing out though! There better be a post up tomorrow about todays run :P
DeleteErr, they are KINDA vibrams, but I wear New Balance Minimus sneaks and am beyond in love with them--they were just for the gym at first, and now I wear them everywhere! (I may or may not own a couple identical pairs...)
ReplyDeleteOh I've heard good things about New Balance Minimus. Thanx for the advice I'll check them out ;)
DeleteI've never worn them for running, but I wear the New Balance Minimus too -- all the time. They are SO comfortable and awesome.
DeleteThanx! Now I really need to check out these New Balance Minimus :D
DeleteI've never tried minimalist shoes or barefoot running so I'll be interested to hear how you go.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with building your base. I have always tried to do it too fast and ended up injured because I stepped up my mileage too soon.
Stepping up my mileage too soon has been a problem during my last season :( I'm really just hoping to go by how it feels and am trying not to push myself too much.
DeleteAs for barefoot running my experience so far has been positive :) However, it's something that must be built slowly over time.
I am trying to incorporate a few barefoot runs a week, but it is tough when it is so cold. When it warms up, I will be out in my Vibrams much more often. I think our barefoot will help our overall running abilities in many ways.
ReplyDeleteI guess it's kind of good that it's cold out so you're taking barefoot running slowly :) That's the reason why I chose to do the transition over winter- pretty much so that I don't injure myself.
DeleteI can't wait until warm weather too! It's like -10C atm (+wind chill) and my feet feel cold in my boots! Can't imagine running barefoot in this weather :S
Good job on your runs. Sounds like your training is working if your legs feel great.
ReplyDeleteI guess how your legs feel is the best measure of how well your training is going. :)
Delete