Friday, January 4, 2013

Colourful Rice

Rice... It's really quite a beautiful grain because there are so many varieties other than the typical brown rice. Something that I came across at Whole Foods was Himalayan Red Rice. Yes, I had to try it!

What is it?
Rice that was originally grown in the South Central Asia and the red rice grown at the foothills of the Himalayan mountains is said to have the richest flavour.

What's so awesome about it?
The one I got at Whole Foods was of a medium length, somewhat in between sushi and Basmati rice. The remarkable thing about it is its colour, such a deep darkish red colour. No wonder it caught my attention :P Too bad a lot of that colour leaches into the water during cooking :(

Price wise it was $1.31 for 1.5 cups of dry rice which equates to 6 servings. This is much more expensive then white rice but honestly after eating whole grains all the time plain white rice has become tasteless to me :(

Cooking wise it's 1 cup of red rice to 2 cups of water and simmer for around 30 minutes. I have read that it works great for pilafs but I used it for my salad/ hippie bowl. Himalayan Red Rice, Hummus, Feta Cheese, over a bed of spinach with balsamic vinegar= deliscious eye candy!

As for the taste, it is definitely more aromatic then your plain brown rice. It has an earthy taste and is chewy thanx to all the fiber.
Lunch Salads are the bomb!
I definitely recommend trying this rice. It's uber easy to cook and is delicious. It's also a great way to impress guests without much effort on your behalf. ^^

Have you guys ever tried any cool coloured rice?




13 comments:

  1. I just loving browsing the bulk bins at Whole Foods and finding new things like this. Black (Forbidden) Rice is probably my favorite of the colored varieties, but I haven't tried Himalayan Red yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forbidden rice 0.0 That sounds so mysterious, I want to try it now! I've also really wanted to try bambo rice ^^ It's green colour is very appealing :P

      Delete
  2. Boy, we're all about the different colored stuff lately!?! :)

    I'm a huge fan of black rice, just like Heather! I love ordering it as the replacement of white rice when eating sushi maki. It has better flavor and heartiness that I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really you can order sushi with black rice 0.0 Soo cool!

      Delete
  3. Yup, nothing's cheaper than white rice, but it sure gets boring! I absolutely love black rice (and seconded and thirded from above)--It has such a fabulous texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Everyone seems to be loving that black rice :P Now I really have to try it ^^

      Delete
  4. I will have to look for this! I'm not the biggest rice fan but a special color will convince me to try anything. I made black sticky rice once (the goth in me was attracted to the color) and it was pretty great:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think I've tried glutenous black rice before :) My mom made this philipino desert out of it with coconut milk and sugar. Not too big of a fan of sticky rice on its own though :P I like individual little rice bits ^^

      Delete
  5. You had me at feta cheese!! And the rice looks great too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feta cheese is the best :) I love how it brings the white colour to salads, I can imagine the salad looking even cooler if I used that black rice ^^

      Delete
  6. It seems that many other commenters would agree - black rice is so delicious and so fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very much like it :) I can't wait to give it a try ^^

      Delete