As you all probably know I've been on a bit of plank spree. I actually really enjoy planks now. They were intimidating outrageously scary at first but now they just became a part of my routine. Yes... you have read this correctly- planks are really not that bad.
When things become easy you have to... Step out of the comfort zone. I've noticed that a lot of bloggers plank but there isn't that much emphasis on the side plank. Doing the side plank is beneficial because it targets slightly different muscles than the regular plank. It focuses much more on the transverse abdominal muscles, the obliques (on the sides), and gluteus muscles (butt). Why not vary things up to get more out of your workout.
You've got to give side planks a try. There're a few difficulty levels that you can start off with:
A) Do the side plank on your knees.
![]() |
| Source: http://kknudson.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/mcgills-big-three-ish-the-side-plank-2/ |
B) On your feet. Make sure that your body is aligned.
![]() |
| Source: http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesmat/ss/Plank-Variations_4.htm |
![]() |
| source: http://www.mind-and-body-yoga.com/side-plank.html |
D) Side plank with a twist. Take the arm up in the area and bring it underneath the opposite side of the body. Make sure you core is contacted and that you're actually twisting your core a bit not just moving the arm. Then bring the arm back to its original position. This is my preferred side plank variation :)
![]() |
| Source: http://www.fitsugar.com/Side-Plank-Leg-Lift-2385791 |
E) Side plank with raised leg. Exactly as it sounds... To be honest I can`t do this variation but hopefully one day I`ll conquer it :D
Do you side plank? Which variation are you most comfortable with? If you don't side plank- TRY IT!






You can do ALL of that??? WOHOO Nadiya
ReplyDeleteI have a long long way to go ;)
I so wana...I think its great at trimming love handles! LOL
I can do all but the last one. Each time I try it I lose balance right away. So that's my challenge :P
DeleteI have done some side planks with Jillian Michaels DVDs, but I would never do them on my own! Brutal!
ReplyDeleteThey're not brutal :P Give them a try ^^ you don't have to hold them as long as a regular plank :P
DeleteI do all of these!
ReplyDeletejillian Michaels dvd's has great variations with planks too. I've been getting down and doing them. SO effective, great full body workout!
Wow everyone keeps talking about the Jillian Michael's DVD's and giving amazing review about them. I should try them out ^^
DeleteI'm with you! I actually really like planks... front and sides! I read once on a blog that she held one for 6 minutes!!! Crazy, right? My record is 3 minutes, but i'd like to get to 5 this year :) That's awesome that you like them too! And yes, you should definitely give Jillian a chance to kick your butt! You'll love it :)
ReplyDeleteWow 3 minutes! That's impressive 0.0 I read on wikipedia that some guy place a Guiness World Record and held a regular plank for about 1.5 hrs!!!!! Crazy!!!
DeleteI will check out Jillian :P
I do the side plant on my feet and elbow and lifting my hips up and down-sometimes lifting my leg too-it's intense!
ReplyDeleteWoaah! You go girl! I hope I can do that one day 0.0
DeleteSide planks are hardcore!!! Love planks though, they are so effective. This will be a really helpful post when I'm trying to mix it up!!! Thank you! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad you found it useful :)
DeleteI must admit I get a tad bored when doing planks. Or maybe that's just another way of saying I am lazy. Either way thanks for the motivation, I'll do one (or 2) today :)
ReplyDeleteYay :) I find variation to be the key to my motivation because likewise I also I get bored of planks. Have fun planking ;)
Delete