Out of all things in life, I have never been much into winter sports. However, at my city center there's a free skating ring so me and my mom bought a pair of ice skates on boxing day. Having never skated before, it proved much more challenging then I though :P If only it was as easy as swimming and not as painful when you fall -.- Don't let me get started on my bruise :(
![]() |
| What my new skates look like |
What caught my eye was a little brochure at Whole Foods regarding Methylmercury. Back in highschool we learned the whole concept of accumulation. So an organism on the bottom of the food chain eats something that gets stored in its fatty tissue and does not get excreted. Then some other animal eats it and that toxin gets deposited in their bodies. Thus, while going up the food chain this chemical gets built up because that animal would have had to eat multiple animals from the lower part of the food chain. The same idea happens with methylmercury but in fish. This form of mercury causes problems in the nervous system development of young children and fetuses. The scary thing is even if you're an adult, this mercury slowly builds up in your body and just stays there. Luckily, the brochure contained a whole list of fish that are considered low in mercury.
These include: catfish, clams, cod, crab, flounder/sole, haddock, herring, ocean perch, oyster, rainbow trout, salmon, sardines, scallops, shrimp, spiny lobster, tilapia, and farmed trout.
This seems like a reasonably long list with a great variety :) So there should be no excuse to exclude fish from your diet just because there's mercury, remember the omega-3 fasts are all worth it.
Yay! Brain Food!
Nadiya

Ice skating is such a fun time! I've been waiting to get out this year. I grew up in Minnesota, so I got a lot of practice in while I was young and impressionable!
ReplyDeleteLucky :P Sadly I left for university today so I won't have a chance to go to the rink for a little while. However, once I come back home I'm going straight to the rink ^^ Hopefully I'll get better by the end of winter...
ReplyDelete