Saturday, January 28, 2012

Mac and Cheese Gone Healthy!

Back as a kid my dad used to make really good Mac and Cheese. However, I wanted to spice things up and give Mac and Cheese a healthy touch up. So my grandmother had some red lentils lying around which I grabbed with me to university. I didn't really know what to do with them so I though... red lentils... cheese... pasta... Hmm! That could work???

I know! Red lentils! Crazy?



So the cooking journey began like this... I soaked the red lentils overnight in some water to reduce cooking time today. Then I cooked it today for about 25 minutes and added in some cheese (nowhere near as much as my dad would use, not to mention he would add butter too).

Then I let my might little food processor grind them up until smooth. (I know it's so small and cute :P)

                                  

Meanwhile I cooked up some pasta which was the vegetable kind. I don't necessarily think that it's healthier than regular pasta but I just wanted to try it. Plus it's pretty and tri-coloured (yellow for carrot, red for tomato, and green for spinach).

Then I combined the two in a delicious, healthy McDal Cheese!


McDal Cheese

Ingredients (Serves: 5)
·         1 cup red lentils
·         1 ½ cup water
·         Salt (depends on which cheese you use)
·         30-60g of cheese
·         1 package of vegetable pasta (1lb or 4 servings)
·         4 L of water
·         1 tbsp salt (for pasta)

Directions
11.     1. Wash the lentils the night before
2.        2. Soak in 1 ½ cups of clean water overnight
3.        3. Next day bring to a boil
4.        4. Then simmer for 25 minutes or until mushy
5.        5. Add in the cheese and adjust the salt levels
6.        6. Blend until smooth
7.        7. Meanwhile cook the pasta
8.        8. Drain pasta of liquid and immediately cover with sauce
9.        9. Wait for the sauce to thicken up
10. 10. Dig in

4 comments:

  1. I like it! I love beans, I love Mac n cheese...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it :) The only thing is it needs to be eaten warm because once you cool it the lentil flavor begins to overpower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very yummy :) Might have to try it with less lentils if if over powers like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah maybe use less lentils and more cheese. I mean without the cheese the recipe is pretty much fat free so it really could use a bit of fat. Maybe add some milk too, I was thinking of using almond milk but I only had the chocolate kind :P

    ReplyDelete